Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 02 Aug 2022 12:04:23 GMT by Sarro
If I began trading as self employed in July 2022 to supplement my part time PAYE job, when would I need to tell HMRC and how would I inform them? I have read all the guidelines about Self Assessment but nothing tells me how and when to register for a Business Tax Account on Gateway I would be a sole trader
Posted Tue, 02 Aug 2022 13:13:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

July 2022, is part of the 22/23 tax year. 

You should notify HMRC when your self employment commences. 

You will need to complete a 2022/23 tax return after 5 April 2023. 

You can register as a sole trader online by navigating to ,

selecting business and self-employed and then setting up.

Thank you.

Posted Tue, 02 Aug 2022 13:23:08 GMT by Sarro
Thank you, yes I already did that and it signposted me straight to Self Assessment. As I am not at that stage yet, this is not the solution. Is there an easy way of notifying HMRC of self employment other than telephone as I cannot get through
Posted Tue, 02 Aug 2022 13:33:01 GMT by Sarro
Hi, I have just followed the steps again I deduce : I can only register as sole trader once I file a self assessment after April 2023? Until that time and unless I earn more than £1000 in that tax year, there is no need to register ? I do nothing until I am ready to file Self Assessment after April 2023 ? How do I inform HMRC that trading has commenced? Thank you
Posted Wed, 03 Aug 2022 08:43:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Sarro, 
Please refer to guidance at:
Register for Self Assessment
Thank you 

Posted Wed, 03 Aug 2022 11:42:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Sarro, 
If you think you will have a profit over £1000, you can register now.
If you know for certain your profit will be below this then you do not need to tell HMRC.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.