Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 08 Apr 2024 17:06:06 GMT by originalmike
Good evening. I would like start up a second business as a sole trader. I am currently registered as self employed in a completely unrelated industry (media) to that which I wish to start a new business within (online store). How do I go about setting up/registering my second business? For obvious reasons I would like to keep these businesses separate, using different trading names, as they are unrelated. Presumably both businesses will still fall under the same UTR but will require separate tax returns? It is my intention to use the business trading name (which will be trademarked) for branding /websites and invoices, receipts etc. - are there any restrictions or issues on using the trading name on official documents as it will not be registered with companies house? Any information or advice on this topic would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:47:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

As you are already registered for self assessment, as self employer; all you would need to do is keep a separate business account for your new sole trade, to account for your profits and expenses etc from that trade.  
When it comes time for your to submit your tax return, you would submit two SA103 supplementary pages or two online self employment sections.  
Self assessment will combine your gross profits, expenses etc and calculate the tax and NIC chargeable on the profits of both businesses.

Thank you
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:14:00 GMT by originalmike
Hi, Thanks for your reply. Just to confirm - you mean a separate business bank account? Do I not need to re-register or add anything to the self assessment/self employment even though I want to trade under a different business name to what is already registered as self employed? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 14:12:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Not a separate bank account, just a spreadsheet/accounts to put the correct income and expenses against each source.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.