Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 28 Aug 2022 23:32:52 GMT by Teddy Lo
I would like to start taking freelance job on computer programming (as self-employed) this tax year (2022- 2023) . I have following questions 1, Do I need to report to HMRC now and register as sole trader? I read the session about sole-trader mentioning the tax year (2021 - 2022)? 2. What is "the name to trade under" ? I would take freelance jobs as an independent individual , then the name is my full name or else? 3. As my client would be outside UK, do I still need to register VAT ? I know VAT should not be charged if the good or service provided in UK .
Posted Mon, 05 Sep 2022 11:41:13 GMT by Andrew Williams

Yes, if you are planning to become self-employed during the current tax year, 2022/23, you should register now as a sole trader.

If you trade as an independent individual, your 'name to trade under' would be your own name.                                                    

Set up as a sole trader                                            

For information regarding VAT you will need to contact the VAT team:                                           

VAT: general enquiries

Thank you.                

You must be signed in to post in this forum.