Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 19 Oct 2022 10:53:00 GMT by Cla1re
Which (if any) forms need to be completed if an individual commences self-employment but they are already completing tax returns for the year. The self-employment will be entered onto the tax return but is there anything that needs to be registered for National Insurance purposes?
Posted Fri, 21 Oct 2022 15:47:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Yes, you need to register as Self-Employed for National Insurance purposes.
You should complete form CWF1 :
Register for Self Assessment
Posted Fri, 21 Oct 2022 16:00:48 GMT by Cla1re
Thank you for your response. I did look at that link but the website says the following: Re-register online (form CWF1) for Self Assessment and Class 2 National Insurance if you’ve filed a return before, but did not file one last year. A tax return was filed last year and one has been issued for 21-22 too, regardless of the self employment. Is this still applicable? Thank you
Posted Tue, 25 Oct 2022 10:22:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

It will still be the same form to complete.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.