Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:20:25 GMT by MC
Hello HMRC, we started a Junior Chess Association in our county a few years ago and are now running tournaments. We have not yet registered. Do we need to register and pay corporation tax? Currently, we have a group of three members. Thank you. Kind regards MC
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2024 08:48:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

Yes, you will need to write to HMRC  Business tax and customs, BX9 1AX and advise the full name and address as well as the accounting period.  
Please set out the full details of how you operate and who can enter tournaments and whether you charge an entry fee.  
Whether CT is payable will depend on whether you are trading.  Information can be found in HMRC's Business Income Manual at BIM20000 onwards.  This is available on the GOV.Uk website.

Thank you
Posted Thu, 23 May 2024 13:14:39 GMT by Andrew Valvona
Hello. I have recently been appointed Treasurer, upon the death of the previous Treasurer, who was a Chartered Accountant, of a School Alumni Association. The Association has no premises or assets, and charges a membership subscription of £20 to members, who number around 150. The Association runs a website, posts out newsletters, and organises several events throughout the year. (An annual dinner, a golf tournament, and a Christmas gathering. At the annual dinner, a raffle is held, and the proceeds are donated to a religious order, that the school was part of. Does the Association, which is over 100 years old, need to register? Due to the death of the previous treasurer, few records are held, other than Bank Statements that I can obtain going back 7 years.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.