Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 28 Mar 2022 09:41:01 GMT by Katherine Morgan
Is there a specific way of changing personal self assessment to sole trader and VAT registration? I've been registered for self assessment personally for a couple of years and now want to set up as a sole trader and for VAT however I am going around in circles. The site wants me to log in, then tells me that I am registered on another account and I can't find anywhere that says how to actually register as a sole trader or for VAT. Every time I google it and follow links I go through pages where I confirm that I want to register for self assessment and VAT, then I go through id check processes, and then it returns me to home where I am registered for personal self assessment and no reference to business accounts or registration. Do I need to self register again or is there someone on my personal registration where I can switch to ST and register for VAT? All google searches are sending me back to square 1 - This is very confusing, any help would be appreciated,
Posted Fri, 01 Apr 2022 10:28:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Katherine Morgan,

As VAT is a Business Tax and Self Assessment is a personal tax you will need to obtain 2 GGW accounts to apply, once you are registered you will be able to link them to one account To register for VAT please follow this link;

 VAT registration

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.