Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 07 Aug 2021 20:31:51 GMT by Matthew Silvester
I recently returned from Vietnam and am earning 50,000 per annum. I have 2 children. I want to apply for Child Benefit and the guidance states if you earn over 50,000. Does this mean I do not need to go to self-assessment? Also, I make contributions to a company pension, does this deduct from my salary? Thereby taking it below 50,000 and meaning I don't need to do self-assessment? Thanks for any advice!
Posted Tue, 10 Aug 2021 12:57:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You would complete the Self Assessment if your earnings were over the £50,000 figure, the pension contributions depend if they
are deducted before or after tax, if it's before tax your taxable income has already been reduced.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.