Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 08 Jul 2021 00:43:32 GMT by Joshdon10
Hi, I have two questions 1). My salary is £43k and I’ve just recently become a father and just sent a form off claiming for child benefit. Last year tax due to covid and lockdown I worked as much overtime as possible and earned £59k. This year I will earn much less. Will my child Benefit claim be classed off last year income or this current tax year? ( My daughter born in this current tax year. So the claim will be from this year only) 2) My estimated income is now saying £60k on the HMRC app. I have no plan to work much overtime this year and I expected to make less than £50k..Will this have a effect on the child benefit and will I pay deductions via PAYE Via my employer Based off my estimated income? Or does HMRC calculate any deductions for child benefit once they know how much I’ve earned at the end of the current tax year? Thanks
Posted Fri, 09 Jul 2021 13:51:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 9
Hi, 

It depends when you started to receive the child benefit.

If you received any child benefit on or before 05/04/21 your income during 2020/21 would be used.

If you will be below 50k there will be no requirement for a Self Assessment tax return and we would not need to adjust your PAYE to collect anything.

If you realise you will go above 50k later in the year let us know so that we can register you for Self Assessment and we can adjust your tax coding to collect anything due at the time.

We would not automatically adjust your tax code unless we receive a Self Asssessment tax return declaring Child Benefit or you contact us to request your code is altered.

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.