Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 10 May 2022 14:44:25 GMT by icw
Hi. I moved back to England (UK citizen) from Spain in 2012 with my Spanish partner (who now has settled status). We have a son, born in Spain, now 14 and another son, born in the UK, now 8. We only just found out that we should have registered for child benefit (not for the payment as we are above the threshold) but so that she could claim the Class 3 pension credit as a full time parent/carer. I have some questions: 1. Can we still register for child benefit now (for the pension credits) and if so, how far back can we claim the pension credits for her NI record? Would we be able to claim from when we moved here in 2012? 2. Because our first son was born in Spain, we have a birth certificate (translated) but the original travel document we used is no longer valid nor do we have it. However he does now have a British passport. Since he was born abroad, I understand we have to send the birth certificate and it says the travel document he used to enter the country. However since we no longer have that document, should we just send his current British passport in lieu of the 2012 travel document?
Posted Mon, 16 May 2022 15:44:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

Child Benefit claims can only be backdated 3 months.  

You should send any documentation that is requested, with the application. If you do not have the documentation, you should enclose a covering letter explaining the circumstances.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.