Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 06 Jun 2023 19:38:48 GMT by manlau
I moved to the UK on 18-August-2021 and continued to work for my Hong Kong company remotely. I spent more than 183 days in the UK in a tax year 2021 to 2022 and no doubt to be an UK resident. In this tax year I applied split year treatment for filling self-assessment tax return. I have already paid UK income tax for income earned in the “UK part” of the year (from 18-Aug-2021 to 5-April-2022). Unfortunately, I cannot apply split year treatment to Hong Kong Tax department (IRD). I have been asked to pay the income tax to Hong Kong government for income earned during whole year from 1-April-2021 to 31-Mar-2022. That’s mean the “UK part” of my income was being “double taxation”. As per the IRD officer’s advice, I should contact the UK HMRC to make the refund of this double taxation. I am wondering if you could clarify it and tell me how to claim it.
Posted Thu, 08 Jun 2023 14:10:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Please refer to guidance at:

Tax on foreign income

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.