Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 07 Oct 2022 07:38:16 GMT by JulesG Gillott
Hi, we applied for a new VAT number to HMRC for our company that started in July 2022 and we are still waiting for our VAT number. HMRC state there is a lengthy delay but can't say how long the delay is or when we will receive our VAT number. Is anyone else experiencing this please? We are having to raise net invoices and tell clients that a VAT invoice will follow, which does not give a professional look!
Posted Mon, 10 Oct 2022 11:47:40 GMT by Sam Lee
Same, we applied at the middle of July and still waiting with no estimation as well. Is there anyway we can contact someone?
Posted Mon, 10 Oct 2022 22:12:18 GMT by Andrew DT
We might same situation. We tried to call VAT registration team every working day for several times. However, all the phone calls have been abruptly cut off. There is only automated messages saying that "we are very busy at the moment...you may try another time", even at the very beginning of every working day, Does anyone know any other ways to contact HMRC VAT registration team directly? Thanks.
Posted Tue, 11 Oct 2022 14:24:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi
JulesG Gillott,

Please call our Registration Unit on 0300 322 7870 to chase this up.

If you need to raise invoices and account for VAT while you are waiting for a Vat number to come through then please see the following link
which explains the correct procedure for this :

Who should register for VAT (VAT Notice 700/1)      .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 11 Oct 2022 14:35:15 GMT by carol pilkington
This doesn't help if you are selling on eBay and they have restricted your account - I cannot sell anything until I receive my VAT number so no income!
Posted Tue, 11 Oct 2022 15:14:07 GMT by JulesG Gillott
HMRC Admin 17 Thank you for your reply and the link to follow the correct procedure. I have called the registration unit but only been told the date that we should have received our VAT number, not when we may actually get it.
Posted Tue, 11 Oct 2022 15:46:26 GMT by Sam Lee
0300 322 7870 This is the exact number that we got cut off every day, every time…..this doesn’t really help isn’t it?
Posted Wed, 12 Oct 2022 07:44:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Sam Lee,

Hello pIease contact the registration team on 0300 322 7870 .

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 12 Oct 2022 07:53:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Andrew DT,

Hi.

I'm sorry you are experiencing such problems contacting our Registration Unit.

I would keep trying to contact them by phone or contact them by email on  vrs.newregistrations@hmrc.gov.uk  .

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 12 Oct 2022 09:35:27 GMT by carol pilkington
I tried calling today but the call was ended as the service was too busy. The automated message said eight weeks to receive a number; meanwhile eBay won’t let me sell anything. HMRC is there anything you can do to help, this seems an excessive amount of time to issue a number when it is effecting peoples livelihoods. Please help.
Posted Wed, 12 Oct 2022 20:24:05 GMT by Marian Scigulinsky
I have been contacting the number above for couple of weeks now and same response as Carol. No answer. Today I was told new message that that they are experiencing issues and my call was ended. Not very helpful. I tried to register online which doesnt work either. Neither did i ever receive any reply to my paper application.
Posted Fri, 14 Oct 2022 13:23:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi carol pilkington,

I'm sorry you are having to wait so long to get a Registration number.
Please be persistant with contacting the Registration Unit on 0300 322 7870 so that they can progress chase the application for you.

Thank you.

Posted Mon, 17 Oct 2022 08:54:56 GMT by Jason Croke
As a tax agent, I can also confirm that the registration helpline does not answer, you get a recorded message to say they are very busy and you should call back another time. Emails to the VRS email address are not acknowledged (either automatically or manually) and so it seems all applications just disappear into a void and no means of checking progress or asking questions. This has been the situation since May 2022, appreciate the HMRC team on this community forum try their best, but be assured by someone who submits VAT registrations daily, the registration (and de-registration) team do not answer the phone, if they do, there must be something like a 5 minute window within the working day when someone is manning the phones. Businesses are waiting on VAT numbers to import goods into the UK or to simply sell things to get this Country growing, they cannot do that without a VAT/EORI number.
Posted Tue, 25 Oct 2022 11:51:53 GMT by Sam Lee
Is this gov completely broken? It is been more than 3 months since I applied to a simple VAT number, and I still have no response yet. How can any business run in this country with this kind of efficiency? And the support above keep asking us to call a number that no one will ever answer, and contact an email that will never reply.
Posted Wed, 26 Oct 2022 00:04:45 GMT by smunonye1
I was told today that my application has been sent for further checks and the wait is 16 weeks! My shop is 100% eBay based and has been restricted so no sales since September . I cannot wait 4 months. I bought things to sell over this busy period. I must sell these things! Please you need to contact eBay to give sellers 6 months to provide VAT ID, we should be allowed to sell and account for VAT at a later date just like other businesses, HMRC cannot close an online business for 5 months while the wait for VAT!! Please escalate this to management it is very urgent !!
Posted Wed, 26 Oct 2022 08:23:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi.

I'm sorry to hear that your application is taking so long to process.

Hi.Can you please call our Helpline on 03002003700 so that we can complete a complaint on your behalf.

I can see that the situation is desperate and we can raise this as an urgent complaint to be looked in to.

Alternatively you can make a complaint to the following address:

BT&C Complaints Team 
St Johns House
Merton Road
Liverpool L75 1BB    .

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 27 Oct 2022 07:39:02 GMT by smunonye1
I have just called this number and was told that they do not deal with registrations and therefore cannot raise a complaint on my behalf. He advised me to raise one by post or online via my GGW account . The postal address he gave me is different from the one you gave. Check similar threads no one responds to complaints either. So that was a waste of an hour Once a complaint is opened HMRC admin admin advise that there is nothing they can do since a complaint has now been opened. Is that the reason for this advise? Total waste of time
Posted Mon, 31 Oct 2022 11:49:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi.

The address I have provided previously for the Complaints Team is correct.

Once a complaint is received the complaints team will lisise with the Registrations Team to identify any problems regarding
the time taken for the apllication to be processed.

I apologise for the continued wait for the VAT number.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 31 Oct 2022 11:57:51 GMT by Sam Lee
This is utterly utterly waste of time. The whole gov is completely down. Apparently the only departments that still working are the speeding ticket and parking ticket department I suppose?
Posted Mon, 31 Oct 2022 12:03:08 GMT by Sam Lee
As we are approaching our VAT report cycle. How can we report VAT if we do not have the VAT number please? Also, we have purchased some equipment for our business use, how can we claim back the VAT without the number as well? If you can't chase the VAT application for us, this is the least you can do to help us get through this.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.