Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 31 Oct 2022 12:53:54 GMT by JulesG Gillott
We are also soon approaching our VAT cycle and still waiting for a VAT number. So once we eventually get the VAT number (I won't hold my breath!) we will no doubt be late submitting our VAT return, also once we do receive a VAT number from HMRC we will have a substantial backlog of bookkeeping to input on our accounts software. This is a mess! All options provided to chase HMRC are useless and not fit for purpose. So like many other businesses we are stuck unable to proceed in a professional manner.
Posted Tue, 01 Nov 2022 09:39:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi

Sam Lee.

Sorry about the continued delays.

You will be able to reclaim the VAT on your first VAT return after your VAT number has been issued.

You will not be able to report the VAT over to us until you receive your first VAT return.

However to account for VAT on invoices before you get the VAT number please see the following guidance :

Who should register for VAT (VAT Notice 700/1)    .

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 07 Nov 2022 08:09:48 GMT by JulesG Gillott
I am calling the registration team on 0300 322 7870 as suggested, but the answer message says they are closed. It is 8.08am on a Mondy morning and they are meant to start answering calls at 8.00am. What is going on? I am still trying desperately to get my company VAT number since August 2022??
Posted Mon, 07 Nov 2022 13:29:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hello
The Registraions line is open 9-5 the General Enquiries line is 8-6.
Thankyou.
Regards.
Posted Tue, 15 Nov 2022 22:31:04 GMT by Sam Lee
How can I even tell my case is being process ? Or somehow missed? It is been 4 months now….
Posted Wed, 16 Nov 2022 15:49:04 GMT by Yoman228
I have the same question as above; my application is passed 3 months.
Posted Thu, 17 Nov 2022 12:22:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Sam Lee,

Hello please contact the helpline with your acknowledgement reference and they should be able to trace your application and see what the delay is 0300200700.

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 26 Nov 2022 15:35:11 GMT by JodyUXS
I’ve been waiting since July, it’s been 85+ business days and I thought it would only take 20 as advertised. Does anyone know what the delays are like? I can’t sell to the UK without this VAT number.
Posted Mon, 28 Nov 2022 10:58:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 17
Hello,

Please contact our registratin team to chase this up on 0300 322 7870 .

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 28 Nov 2022 12:58:43 GMT by Sam Lee
Hi Jody, A lot of us here have waited since July until now, and we still haven't got the VAT number yet, easily more than 120 days now.
Posted Fri, 02 Dec 2022 15:47:04 GMT by Alyson Rainey
I'm still awaiting a VAT registration number from an application made for a client on 28th July. This is now starting to affect contracts which cannot be finalised until we have the VAT number. I called the registrations team again today on 0300 322 7870 and got the message "Due to technical difficulties this helpline is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later." It is now more than 4 months since I applied, and my client is potentially losing business and money as a result. Totally unacceptable delay - if the boot was on the other foot and we submitted returns late, we would be heavily penalised by HMRC.
Posted Sun, 11 Dec 2022 20:54:06 GMT by Simon S
We've been waiting for over 3 months for our VAT registration number which is required to complete a commercial property purchase as a Treatment of Going Concern (TOGC). Do we have to wait for the VAT number before we can complete the purchase or can we purchase based on having applied for the VAT number?
Posted Mon, 12 Dec 2022 11:35:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi.

As the purchases you don't strictly have to have the VAT number in your possesseion for the TOGC conditions to be met.

Please see the following:

Where the seller of the business or part of the business is registered for VAT, the buyer must be one of the following:

•registered for VAT

•at the date of the transfer be required to be registered for VAT because all of the conditions for compulsory registration are met

•accepted for voluntary registration and the voluntary registration must be in place at the time that the transaction occurs, it is not enough to apply afterwards for backdated registration

This condition is not met if the buyer is not registered and is not required to be registered for VAT. This could be because either:

•at the date the transfer takes place, the buyer does not expect the value of their taxable supplies in the next 12 months to be above the registration limit,
for example, the buyer intends to reduce trading by introducing shorter working hours

•the seller was not required to be registered but was registered voluntarily at the date of the transfer - the buyer is not required to register because
the value of the seller’s taxable supplies in the 12-month period then ended is not above the registration limit

Please see the guidance below:

Transfer a business as a going concern (VAT Notice 700/9)   .

I would recommend speaking to the Registration Unit to chase up your application on 0300 322 7870.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 10 Jan 2023 19:35:57 GMT by DG1
Hey guys, I registered for VAT on my company on the 29th November and still haven't heard anything back from HMRC? What shall I do? Is it worth calling? At the moment without my VAT number I cannot trade, well I can but it really isn't worth the money I will be cut without it. I kept checking my vat registration status, my application appeared on that part of the site for over a month on the status "submitted" but now its no where to be seen, is that the same for everyone else when it goes over 30 days and nothing has happened? Or is that a sign for me to submit an application again? I know people in my field of work, who registered after me and have received a response before me (a VAT ID Number). Any help would be appreciated it, I know HMRC are known for delays on this right now but I have no income currently, and credit cards to pay off on my business. This is quite worrying and making me have sleepless nights.
Posted Wed, 11 Jan 2023 13:23:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi.

Please contact our Registration Unit on 0300 322 7870 .

Please see the link below which clarify what you need to do if you need to charge VAT to your customers but don't yet have a VAT number :

Who should register for VAT (VAT Notice 700/1)   .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 11 Jan 2023 16:55:12 GMT by DG1
Hello @HMRC Admin 17 I have rang this number for the last few days now and never end up getting an operator. It always goes to "All are representatives are busy right now, try again later" I know I can sell product right now but it comes with a serious disadvantage for me, in my industry I sell on marketplaces that need my VAT ID to allow selling and cover the 20% hit I would be taking otherwise. Is there anything else I could be doing? I have even tried to also contact you via email and I just get an automated response? It would just be useful if I could get an answer on what progress has happened to my application, I can't even see it on submitted anymore which appeared for the first 30 days since I done the application. Thanks
Posted Thu, 12 Jan 2023 16:50:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi DG1,

I apologies that you are waiting so long for your VAT Registration to be processed. As this is a public forum I'm unable to look into a specific application.
You would need to contact our Registration Unit via email or telephone and be persistent if they are busy.
We would recommend charging the gross value for your supplies while you are waiting for the VAT number and then reinvoice customers with the full VAT breakdown once you have your VAT number.
Please see the guidance below:
5. Accounting for VAT 5.1 Keeping records and charging VAT — when to start
I understand that the marketplace are reticent to allow companies trading via their platform to trade without a VAT number so it is imperative that you speak to us regarding this so that we can progress your application in a timely manner.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 12 Jan 2023 23:17:31 GMT by DG1
Hey HMRC Admin 20, Thanks for the reply, I know it's not your own fault that there is a delay on application(s) as a whole right now (not just mine). I'll keep trying through the phone but as of right now, no luck. The email gives me an automated response which sounds like an individual wont reply to it anytime soon or not at all, is that true? I sent an email to vrs.newregistrations@hmrc.gov.uk, is the right email? Is there no way an admin like yourself can't reply to me privately or message me on here? It's just annoying that I can easily have a conversation with someone on this forum that works for HMRC than I can through the support helplines... Anyone else also reading this who waited or is still waiting have you got any suggestions for me to do?
Posted Fri, 13 Jan 2023 16:48:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi DG1,

This is the correct email address to use to progress chase your application.

Unfortunately this is a public forum only and we are unable to advise on a specifiic case as only the Registration Department have access to this information.

The Registration Departmewnt are working through cases as quickly as possible and so if they require any information from you they will request this.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.