Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 01 Apr 2022 13:12:50 GMT by DownToTheWood
When registering for VAT in September I requested going straight onto the flat rate scheme. When I received my VAT number it stated that if I had requested FRS I would be informed separately, I waited a few months, then phoned up HMRC to be told I had not been put on the scheme, so I filled in and posted form VAT600VRS, months later still heard nothing, filled two online HMRC request forms (they state they will answer in 15 days) heard nothing back in over 2 months. Phoned HMRC on 0300 200 3700, they said it was a seperate department and they couldn't check progress but the flat rate scheme does not have a phone number just an email: frsapplications.vrs@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk I've sent 4 emails head nothing, if anyone has any idea how to get anywhere I would appriciate it, it is causing me undue stress, its now been 7 months and I have no idea where to turn
Posted Mon, 04 Apr 2022 13:34:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 24
Hi.

You are correct in stating that there is no contact number for the Flat Rate Scheme.

However, there are ways in which we can contact the Team internally to chase the progress of an application.

Can you please contact the Helpline once more so that we can do this.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 06 Apr 2022 14:56:51 GMT by Jamie M
I have the same problem where I haven't heard anything about the FRS. Did you get any update DownToTheWood? On what basis did you file your VAT returns?
Posted Fri, 08 Apr 2022 09:21:49 GMT by DownToTheWood
Hi No actual answer yet but I belive part of the problem is that the email I was given was frsapplications.vrs@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk wheras I believe their email is now: frsapplications.vrs@hmrc.gov.uk So I've now sent my third VAT600FRS application Also if you post your application I believe the address on the application is also wrong! I run a retail shop on my own and rarely have a window long enough to chase problems via phone
Posted Tue, 12 Apr 2022 23:22:38 GMT by Jamie M
Thanks for your reply. I have tried emailing the updated address and guess I will have to try and call if they don't reply.
Posted Fri, 22 Apr 2022 09:29:47 GMT by DownToTheWood
Today (22/04/22) I had my wife cover work so that I could phone up HMRC, here is a summary of their very polite replies: 'Can't see anything here' 'not much we can do' 'Yes' I'll log your call' 'I will pass on a message to them' 'I can only appologise' Funnily enough that's what they said last time! Could someone please confirm if their email is: frsapplications.vrs@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk or frsapplications.vrs@hmrc.gov.uk (I have emailed both and never had a reply from either, so maybe there's a secret third one?) Could someone please confirm if this is the right address as listed on the HRRC web site: Do not use the address on the form - send it to the following address instead. BT VAT HM Revenue and Customs BX9 1WR Will be resending my application today, to both emails and by post. HRMC are acting unjustly by not letting me access systems put in place specifically for my kind of business - I have tried all attempts to contact them, so will now stop paying my returns as I cannot in all concience pay a government department that is not acting on behalf of the people it governs.
Posted Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:32:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi.

Apologies you are experiencing with this.

The Flat Rate's team email address is frsapplications.vrs@hmrc.gov.uk.

The Flat Rate Scheme should be receiving your email and obviously responding.

I know there is a backlog with applications coming in.

However it is only fair to acknowledge your applucation and deal with it.

I would recommend calling our Helpline again so that we can send over an urgent internal message to the Team on your behalf.

Also if you have returns which are coming up and you want to submit these on the basis of the Flat Rate Scheme then in some circumstances the
Helpline can give you permission to use the Flat Rate Scheme prior to you receiving confirmation from the Flat Rate Team that your application has been processed.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 25 Apr 2022 11:47:23 GMT by DownToTheWood
Hi Thanks for your comments I have sent in further applications by post AND email, but instead of wasting even more of my own time on phone calls, I have opted to make an official complaint via: https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-hmrc so hopefully that will at least get a reply. p.s. If I could earn money while waiting on a call holding system I'd be a rich man!
Posted Wed, 27 Apr 2022 21:41:53 GMT by Jamie M
Hi DownToTheWood, You could maybe try the registrations department which is on 0300 322 7870. I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago and they said I didn't enter what date I wanted the FRS scheme to start. Which doesn't even make sense because the application only asks you to enter a date for FRS to start if you want it to be different from the VAT registration date. Anyway I'm hoping this might nudge mine along but still waiting as well. For the record, I didn't receive a reply to my email to FRS department either.
Posted Wed, 25 May 2022 10:44:35 GMT by DownToTheWood
Made an official complaint to HMRC, no response to that either! - it's been over a month (Claim sent 22/04/22 reference number is HSR-OEHN-0HW) Sent my VAT600VRS 6 copies by post 6 copies by email to frsapplications.vrs@hmrc.gov.uk 1 copy by email to VATchangeofcircs@hmrc.gov.uk Phoned: 0300 200 3700 many times 0300 322 7870 once 0300 322 7872 once
Posted Wed, 01 Jun 2022 07:46:52 GMT by David Wroe
I have the same problem; I've been chasing via the confirmed email since December but no response at all. I'm doing it daily now. It's ridiculous that you aren't able to speak with someone in this imaginary team and no-one can even acknowledge your application. As for the VAT helpline...its at leats an hour of your life every time you'll never get back!
Posted Tue, 14 Jun 2022 09:45:13 GMT by businessuk
We applied for the Flat Rate Scheme on 7th April via email and there was no reply. We sent emails in May and June, no replies at all. As we need to submit the VAT return for quarter ended 31st May, we called the helpline today and quoted what HMRC Admin 17 replied in the post "Also if you have returns which are coming up and you want to submit these on the basis of the Flat Rate Scheme then in some circumstances the Helpline can give you permission to use the Flat Rate Scheme prior to you receiving confirmation from the Flat Rate Team that your application has been processed " . The helpline staff said: " she have never heard of this. " What can we do?
Posted Tue, 14 Jun 2022 10:43:28 GMT by DownToTheWood
'What can we do?' - I can supply flaming torches if you can supply the pitchforks 🤣 We've recieved a reply after 8 months of silence! They refused my application 😢 They said they thought we would exceed the £150000 net upper limit - I wish! - In 28 years we've never come close. My first return was large, it is always is in the summer; we are seasonal, I don't suppose they looked back over my old VAT number. just made their decision on a single vat return. I have 30 days to contest, sent a letter straight back using Royal Mail Special delivery so it can't get lost 👍 p.s. Yes I can confirm helpline staff have never heard of giving prior approval
Posted Tue, 14 Jun 2022 10:48:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi

businessuk,

If you have already completed four returns and we can see that your turnover is below the threhold for joing the Flat Rate Scheme then we can give you temorary approval over the phone to use the cheme.

Apologies that the advisor didn't pick up on this so I would recommend you to call again so that we can give you this approval.

If you have not already completed four returns then it would be a case of waiting for the confirmation to come through.

Another option is if you haven't completed four return would be to use normal accounting for now and then when you get approved
to use the Flat Rate Scheme you can make the necesaary adjustments on your next Vat return .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 14 Jun 2022 11:19:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi DownToTheWood 
If you have sent the letter back challenging the decision then the Flat Rate Scheme will look in to this and reply to you.
Thankyou.
Regards.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.