Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 31 May 2022 14:35:54 GMT by RomasVladi
Dear all, I am sole trader and newly registered for VAT. My first vat return was submitted 1 St March, which resulted in refund for 5k . As expected , it’s has gone via verification and VAT ONLINE stated: expended payment on 31st March. By the end of March HMRC sent me letter, while I was overseas with second letter to follow in two weeks time. My neighbour was collecting my mail and I was reluctant to ask him to open correspondence. I checked my VAT online account and it stated: Estimated repayment date has passed 01 Mar 2022 You do not need to do anything right now. We are working on repaying you as soon as possible. We have sent you a letter to explain that your repayment is delayed. Estimated repayment date has passed 01 Mar 2022 You do not need to do anything right now. We are working on repaying you as soon as possible. We have sent you a letter to explain that your repayment is delayed. Unfortunately, when I returned home and opened HMRC letters, it had contradictory information, stating that I need to contact HMRC in order to process refund. Second letter stated, that if I don’t call, they will deregister my VAT. I need to note, that while awaiting for refund to be processed, I changed my reporting schedule to monthly and submitted two VAT returns resulting in VAT payment to HMRC. Currently, my deadline have passed to contact HMRC and I am actually bit lost what will happen and if I am ever gonna get any claimed refund. I was away due to acute family emergency in Ukraine. I just don’t understand why HMRC would have contradictory information what taxpayer requires to do. Now, it will look like as I was purposely avoiding them due to large refund pending ( for me it’s large) and probably will be scrutinised much harder.
Posted Tue, 31 May 2022 16:03:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

Please contact our VAT team so we can check your account and repayment.

VAT: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.