Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 01 Dec 2022 22:29:01 GMT by Karla
Violet, They don't answer anytime I try. I am in the same situation sent mine a week before you and nothing. Think it's a joke that people have to contact an MP to get things moving. And the HMRC replies on these forums are pointless as it's the same response (contact the helpline) well mabye if they picked up in the 1st place!
Posted Thu, 15 Dec 2022 12:14:07 GMT by Tamsin Bryan
I had a similar issue Violet - I contacted my MP 3 weeks ago and had the majority of my reclaim paid today - I submitted the claim on 12/8/22
Posted Tue, 10 Jan 2023 15:18:30 GMT by Melanie Mues
Hello, I am afraid I can not ever get through to your helpline you keep referring to. Can you please tell me what you mean by supplying 'original invoices' when filing the VAT refund case? Most of our suppliers are using electronic invoicing, meaning that most of our VAT invoices are emailed to us and therefore needing to be printed out by me to send to you. In fact, nobody has sent an Invoice in the post on 'original letterhead paper' to date. Will print outs of emailed invoices be ok? Thank you for your advise
Posted Tue, 10 Jan 2023 17:16:54 GMT by Violet Greaves
If your receipt is attached to the email and has headed paper plus the usual requirements I.e. date and invoice number I would assume that’s ok. If it’s in the body of the email message itself then I think that is probably not ok. As it seems there are no answers from the DIY itself I hope that gives you some confidence. I will be contacting my MP as I have been waiting since August. Previous comments seem to say that it has been helpful.
Posted Wed, 11 Jan 2023 09:13:57 GMT by
Hi Melanie Mues,

If the invoices are printed off then these will be acceptable invoices by the DIY Team.

However photocopied invoices are not acceptable

Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 11 Jan 2023 09:45:39 GMT by Melanie Mues
Thank you for your quick response. This is great. I have two more question. What do I do with cash/card shop purchases that do have the VAT noted on but do not have our name on it? Will they be ok to hand in? And my final question. What is the current turn around time for VAT returns from submission to payment? Has this improved? I have seen worrying time frames of up to a year in the feed above. Are you back to normal, since there is no pandemic to contend with any longer? Thanks again.
Posted Wed, 11 Jan 2023 12:49:28 GMT by Dave K
Our claim for self build was submitted with confirmation of receipt on 27 September 2022. Since then we have received zero communications, no DIY reference number and I can't get to speak to anyone on the phone line as it just kicks me out after going through all the prerecorded messages. How can I get confirmation that the claim will be processed and when?
Posted Wed, 11 Jan 2023 16:53:27 GMT by Violet Greaves
I’ve written to my MP. I am sure if enough of us raise concerns something should be done to help the DIY staff. I feel sorry that government departments have been depleted to such a degree that they cannot serve the public well. It’s becoming a familiar story unfortunately.
Posted Thu, 12 Jan 2023 16:34:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Melanie Mues,

We can accept cash/card receipts from shops as long as there is a VAT amount on the claim and the items are clearly listed.
The receipt does not need your name as the customer to be stated.
We are currently working on apllications received in July and at this point we will then write to you to acknowledge the claim.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 12 Jan 2023 16:37:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Dave K,

The DIY Team are currently dealing with applications received in July 2022.
If you need to contact us please persist on the Helpline number which is 0300 322 7073

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 12 Jan 2023 17:31:14 GMT by Melanie Mues
Thank you for your advise. When you say, that you are dealing with applications filed in July last year, what does this mean in terms of the time-frame for the refund payments, meaning how long do you take at the moment to deal with an application on average? This is of course the information applicants need for their financial planning. This forum seems to give useful support that the helpline can not provide due to understaffing. Why can one not receive updates for individual applications here? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 13 Jan 2023 16:44:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Melanie Mues,

The process of the claim is carried out in two phases.

First they will check over the application for eligibility purposes and then  we pass the application on to the processors to work.

When we do the eligibility check we will write to you to advise of the claim's progression. If further information is required we will request it at that stage.

A case reference number will be supplied on the letter also.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.