Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 05 Sep 2024 10:58:06 GMT by supermaria
Hi, I am based in the UK and own a small design agency (also registered in the UK). I am currently not registered for VAT as my turnover is way below the threshold. I am offering digital design services (website design, graphic design, design consultancy, illustrations) and my designs are personalized (so I assume they don't qualify as digital products such as ebooks). I have two questions: 1. I would like to know more about selling these services to the EU based business customers - who's responsible for VAT? Are there any other taxes or rules I should be aware of in this case? 2. Same question, but what about US based business customers? Anything I should be aware of? Kind regards, Maria
Posted Mon, 09 Sep 2024 08:54:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi.

If you are supplying digital services to businesses overseas(within the EU and outside the EU) then these supplies will be
Outside The Scope of VAT.

Please see the guidance below:

Place of supply of services (VAT Notice 741A)    .

If the business customer is in the EU then the customer will account for the VAT under the reverse charge procedure

It is always recommended to check with the country where the customer belongs to make sure there are n
o other tax considerations in their country.

Thank you .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.