Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 30 Nov 2022 20:55:12 GMT by joseaus1965
Can someone clarify this statement from the Guidance Using the global accounting VAT margin scheme 'Invoicing Purchase and sales invoices You must issue a sales invoice to other VAT-registered dealers and include: ' Does this mean that you dont have to issue a sales invoice if the buyer is not VAT registered? For example, if I sell on ebay to an private individual, do i need to send them a separate sales invoice? The same principle for purchases, if i buy from a non vat registered person, do I need to create a purchase invoice? From the statement of the guidance i interpret that invoices are only required when dealing with VAT registered individuals? I find this very confusing, some guidance would be helpful
Posted Fri, 09 Dec 2022 15:53:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi joseaus1965,

VAT Notice 700/21 section 4.4 states the following -
There’s no requirement to issue a VAT invoice for retail supplies to unregistered businesses.
As a retailer, you may assume that no VAT invoice is required unless your customer asks for one.
However, when you sell something you plan to claim for under a VAT margin scheme, you must give the buyer an invoice.
Further details are contained in the following link:  
VAT margin schemes

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.