Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2024 16:18:51 GMT by arpconsulting
Hello, I have a company in Romania and I would like to start selling products online in the UK (the products will either be bought form UK) or shipped from other UE countries in the UK. Therefore, I would like to ask you if, in order to sell in the UK I should register for a UK VAT# or if there is another way which would be more appropriate. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2024 15:07:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi arpconsulting,
If you are selling goods in to the UK  and the value of the goods is over £135 then there will be a requirement to register for VAT in the UK if you are the importer of the goods in to the UK.
If you are dropshshipping goods from the EU in to the UK then again it will depend on whether you are the importer of the goods in to the UK.
If you are the importer in these scenarios then there will be an instant requirement to register for VAT in the UK.
If you are selling goods to individuals in the UK below a value of £135 then there will be a requirement to register for VAT in the UK upon the first sale made.
If you are sourcing the goods from the UK then you will be making taxable supplies in the UK and again there will be a requirement to register for VAT upon the first sale made.
Please see the links to the guidance below:
VAT and overseas goods sold directly to customers in the UK
Who should register for VAT (VAT Notice 700/1)
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.