Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 03 May 2022 12:32:57 GMT by kevinz301058
Hi how long is this taking at the moment as I have a reference number form hmrc and I sent forms and invoices away in February 2022
Posted Tue, 03 May 2022 16:08:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

HMRC will write to you about when you can expect your VAT refund if your claim is successful. They will usually write to you within 6 weeks.

If you have further questions, you can contact the DIY and House Building VAT Enquiries Team here:

Building a new home and VAT

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 04 May 2022 08:38:03 GMT by kevinz301058
thank you but it is lot more than 6 weeks , if you help with the time
Posted Sun, 08 May 2022 17:29:39 GMT by Russ T
submitted my claim & receipts in mid January, and have just received a letter acknowledging receipt and giving a reference number. the letter implies it will take a further 6 weeks to look at, and then 4 weeks to pay! That will end up as around 6 months since I submitted them, which is disgraceful really. Surely they are aware that most people who have gone through this process have spent a lot of money building their houses and need to recoup this as soon as possible to pay off loans/credit cards etc
Posted Mon, 09 May 2022 10:19:34 GMT by kevinz301058
HI Posted mine around beginning Feb , managed o get reference number couple weeks ago over phone but no timescale was given , it still states 6 weeks on vat reclaim page on hmrc , its surely can't be right waiting this long as I NEED that refund
Posted Wed, 18 May 2022 11:26:28 GMT by C Owens
Hi, Just wondering if anyone can tell me how long an acknowledgement takes please? I sent my claim in a couple of weeks ago via recorded delivery but when I phoned the helpline they weren't very helpful! Its very worrying, but if that also happened to other people then it will put my mind at rest abit
Posted Wed, 18 May 2022 15:40:57 GMT by kevinz301058
Hi Probably take around 2 weeks or more to get an acknowledgement then who knows after that , good luck anyway .
Posted Mon, 23 May 2022 08:15:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi.

At present the DIY Team is taking about 3 months to process these claims.

There are no time scales unfortunately for receiving acknowledgements but if you applied a couple
of weeks ago then you should be receiving this soon.

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 11 Jun 2022 12:34:49 GMT by kevinz301058
Sorry this is not correct my claim was put in FEB 2022 and only now I get a letter asking for more information
Posted Thu, 16 Jun 2022 08:34:38 GMT by Tracey Warnett
My claim was submitted March 2022, I have been chasing them and 14 weeks on have been told my claim hasn't even been looked at to see if it is eligible let alone the documentation gone through. I asked how long claims were taking and was told they weren't allowed to tell me! I asked what the delay was, short staffing or numbers of claims, again I was told they weren't allowed to tell me. I have credit card bills coming out of my ears that were used to finance some of my self build that need paying. Do you think the credit card companies will accept 'I'm not allowed to tell you' when they need paying! It would be a different kettle of fish if we owed the HMRC. I am getting really frustrated now. We jumped through a zillion hoops to do the flipping build in the first place, contended with a pandemic whilst returning to practice in the NHS to support it and working full time whilst project managing this build and doing several jobs on it ourselves whilst keeping meticulous records for the HMRC and now the cost of living is rocketing. I'm afraid 'not allowed to tell you' is not accepable on any level . Just please give us our money that we are owed
Posted Thu, 07 Jul 2022 11:52:26 GMT by Russ T
Nobody will tell you how long this process is taking, and won’t apologise for the delays either. They have an “it takes as long as it takes - not my fault” attitude. I called to chase my claim on 16th June, and was told someone would call me back on afternoon of 22nd June as no-one was available until then. On the call back I was told that my claim had been confirmed as for a valid reason, but they were now dealing with claims acknowledged in March, so it would be a few weeks. My claim was submitted in January, but receipt not acknowledged until the beginning of May. So we are now approaching 26 weeks since it was submitted, and 9 weeks since it was acknowledged. Fortunately we are in a lucky position with not much carried forward on credit, but it’s money we need to clear debts and finish off works we haven’t been able to finish without the cash.
Posted Mon, 11 Jul 2022 12:39:45 GMT by David Smith
Our claim was submitted 1st April 2022. We received a text message saying that the claim had been received and we would receive funds within 20 working days. When that date passed we rang the DIY team to then be told the text messages were sent out by mistake ! and our claim had not even been looked at. I have rang twice since, our has claim still not been looked at. We are now at 14 weeks This service is not acceptable , we have had to pay so much money out ,and are still paying off loans for the build We get fined if we send late payments to the HMRC its a very poor service
Posted Tue, 12 Jul 2022 09:09:10 GMT by J Hig
I worked diligently to get my claim submitted within the correct timescale and before Christmas 2021. It didn’t get through eligibility checks until 3 months later, third week of March 2022. I am still waiting for it to be looked at another 4 months on. I ring every month to query progress to be told it still has not been assigned to an officer. 8 months has gone by now and I have unfinished work and short term debt to contend with. I run businesses and have not once made a late payment to HMRC. Why can they can conduct themselves in this way with no recourse! We all have resourcing issues and Covid recovery to contend with. Simply unacceptable.
Posted Fri, 22 Jul 2022 16:17:51 GMT by charlotte211276 Dudley
We put our claim in December 2021 and now now all we have is a reference number. Absolutely no contact from HMRC except to say they are moving premises. It is now 22 July and our financial circumstances are dire to say the least yet HMRC still want us to pay our personal tax (which we are happy to do once you pay us our money). Quite frankly we are pretty disgusted as we are now being threats by debt collectors sent by HMRC even though they owe us a large some via diy self build. I honestly used the be annoyed by the tax dodgers in this country but now it makes me wonder if they are right. We have always worked and paid our taxes and this is how you get treated.
Posted Fri, 22 Jul 2022 16:52:38 GMT by charlotte211276 Dudley
We put our claim in December 2021 and now now all we have is a reference number. Absolutely no contact from HMRC except to say they are moving premises. It is now 22 July and our financial circumstances are dire to say the least yet HMRC still want us to pay our personal tax (which we are happy to do once you pay us our money). Quite frankly we are pretty disgusted as we are now being threats by debt collectors sent by HMRC even though they owe us a large some via diy self build. I honestly used the be annoyed by the tax dodgers in this country but now it makes me wonder if they are right. We have always worked and paid our taxes and this is how you get treated.
Posted Tue, 26 Jul 2022 07:37:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi.

I am sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your DIY claim.

Please get in touch with the DIY team directly on 0300 322 7073.

Thank you.

Posted Mon, 22 Aug 2022 11:40:07 GMT by frankie20 smith
Due to the long delay in processing vat return claims , is hmrc going to give claimers reimbursement. as they impose penalties for being late with returns . I really want to complain about this service but as i have already stated the complaints gateway is saying my details dont match which they do.
Posted Mon, 22 Aug 2022 11:43:05 GMT by frankie20 smith
I can really relate to the messages posted have also got credit cards that need paying . I want answers and I dont accept the covid excuse they are using
Posted Mon, 22 Aug 2022 13:21:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi.

Apologies about the ongoing issues you are having with your DIY claim.

This is a general forum so please discuss with our DIY Team on 0300 322 7073.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 22 Aug 2022 13:24:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

The provided contact number is 0300  322 7073 .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.