Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 05 Sep 2024 12:55:45 GMT by Thomas240774
Hi there, I purchased a holiday home in the USA (Florida) over 10 years ago. I holiday there around three times per year. I also rent the property long term to the same tenant every year for 3 months between the 1st of January and c. 4th of April. During the holiday season, in the months when I'm not there I rent the property out on a short-term basis which is advertised on Airbnb. The property is registered with tax authorities to pay local tourist tax, plus sales tax each time it's let out, and also income tax on the overall income including the long term renter income. I also have an accountant in the USA as I am required to fill out a US tax return to the IRS. The US tax return is also provided to my UK accountant and they subsequently file the US tax information on my UK return. My Question- I'm wondering, as well as the US sales tax, am I liable to pay UK VAT on the short term let's in the USA? According to both my accountants , no, but I want to double check. The reason I ask, is I have two short-term lets in the UK, I am not close to the VAT threshold on these 2 properties, but I would start getting close if there was a requirement to the count the income from my Florida home for VAT purposes. So, in short, would the income for my Florida home count towards determining if I exceed the £90,000 UK VAT threshold? Thanks for your help 
Posted Mon, 09 Sep 2024 09:18:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response
Hi.

Your taxable turnover in the UK would only be made up of supplies you make in the UK.

The service you provide in the USA is relating to land and therefore the Place of Supply of the service would be in the USA and
so would not go towards your UK taxable turnover.

Please see the guidance below:

Place of supply of services (VAT Notice 741A)   .

Who should register for VAT (VAT Notice 700/1)  .

Thank you .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.