Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 10 Jan 2021 14:06:08 GMT by HuckF
I have been posted to work in Spain. My company and myself have registered for an A1 so NI contributions & Tax to continues in the UK and an S1 certificate for healthcare. The S1 request has been rejected as the basis of this placement could be less than 2 years, and I was informed to use the EHIC card instead. Due to Brexit we have to apply for residency(to stay longer then 3 months) and the Spanish authorities require an S1 certificate as they consider the EHIC to only be for tourism. If I can not get the S1 certificate my residency application will be rejected and we will have to leave the country within 3 months. I understood the S1 was for posted workers on shorter term placements, with longer posting being a more permeant solution where the employee pays into the host countries National insurance system. Can someone clarify the rules and situation /
Posted Tue, 02 Mar 2021 15:41:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 10


The S1 is issued based on residency, however our decision is made based on the information on the application form.

It is unclear whether an S1 was applied for separately, if not then a CA8454 will need to be completed.

If a person has been rejected for an S1 and they disagree with the decision they need to send in an appeal in writing.

We need to know why they disagree and the case will be looked into again.

We cant do this over the telephone, this must be received in writing.



You must be signed in to post in this forum.