Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 25 Dec 2020 22:56:58 GMT by William369
Hi, I've completed my self-assessment for 2019-2020 tax year when my gross income was over £50k (near £60k) and recieved the full child benefits for my two children. I've entred the right information on the child benefit section 1. Total amount of Child Benefit you and your partner got for the year to 5th April 2020: £ 1788.00 2. Enter the number of children you and your partner got Child Benefit for Tax Year 2019-20: 2 3. Enter the date that you and your partner stopped getting all Child Benefit payments if this was in the year to 5 April 2020 Not Entered (as it was stopped after 5 April 2020) and It was completed in Nov. However, I've checked the tax retrun today (25th Dec) but the "tax owed" still shows 0 and that I have no payment due. I would expect that I need to payback near the full amount of child benefit recieved (£1700). Have I done anything wrong or will there be a notice coming soon? I'm concerned the deadline for payment 31st Jan 2021 is nearby and don't want any suprises. Will appriciate any advice. Many thanks.
Posted Wed, 06 Jan 2021 16:47:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 11
Hi,
You may have paid the child benefit tax charge via your tax code in 19/20 and that's why there is nothing to pay.
Please ensure you have included your income and tax on the return and check your self assessment statement via your online account to check if you owe anything.

However, if you're still unsure you may need to contact us to check this for you on  our helpline or via webchat:
0300 200 3310
Self Assessment: webchat

Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 06 Jan 2021 20:55:07 GMT by William369
Hi, Thank you so much for your reply. Also to make sure, I have entered the salary and tax on the return (which was marked as optional so I didn't enter before which may be the cause of the issue) and now the tax due is showing correctly and I have set up the direct debit payment for it to be paied on 13 Jan. However, could you let me know how to check whether it's already charged via tax code in 19/20 please - when is it likely to be taken. I'm concerned of double paying - apologies I may be overthinking but just want to make sure. Kind regards
Posted Fri, 15 Jan 2021 16:06:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi

Unfortunately, we do not have access to your tax code via this platform.

If you need a breakdown of your previous years code, you can contact our colleagues on 0300 200 3300 or by webchat at :

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thankyou.

Regards.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.