Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 20 Apr 2020 15:35:17 GMT by LeesaSSh
Hi Getting panicky and mid May seems a long time for confirmation that I am entitled to the Govt grant for self employed. Been self employed since 1 Feb 2017, tax returns each year, tax paid on £29k profit each tax year. I am neither a limited company, or a Director. My only client cancelled my contract on 31 March, no other income. Do I fit the criteria for the grant?
Posted Wed, 22 Apr 2020 07:58:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hello LeesaSSh.

We cannot comment on your individual circumstances at this time but we can confirm eligibility criteria for the Self Employed Income Support Scheme.

You can claim if you’re a self-employed individual or a member of a partnership and you:
- have submitted your Self Assessment tax return for the tax year 2018 to 2019
- traded in the tax year 2019 to 2020
- are trading when you apply, or would be except for coronavirus
- intend to continue to trade in the tax year 2020 to 2021
- have lost trading profits due to coronavirus

You will need to confirm to HMRC that your business has been adversely affected by coronavirus.

Your trading profits must also be no more than £50,000 and more than half of your total income for either:
- the tax year 2018 to 2019
- the average of the tax years 2016 to 2017, 2017 to 2018, and 2018 to 2019

I hope this helps.
Posted Wed, 22 Apr 2020 12:12:19 GMT by Chris Robles
Hi, how to we confirm that we have traded in tax year 2019 to 2020 if we haven't yet filled the tax return for that year?
Posted Fri, 24 Apr 2020 10:28:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hello Chris,

We will update guidance with more information soon. The guidance is available at :

Claim a grant through the coronavirus (COVID-19) Self-employment Income Support Scheme

Thank You.
Posted Sat, 30 May 2020 22:36:01 GMT by JamesA
Hi, I seem to fit all the criteria you mention for the Self Employed Income Support Scheme. I'm a sole trader. I've had a low turnover/profit in the past 18 months, and have had to borrow money to cover living costs. Just before the coronavirus crisis I was offered work that would have given me a good income, long term. Due to the crisis, that fell through, and I will not earn that good income. However, I still have that small turnover/profit. Am I eligible to claim for the self-employment grant? Thanks
Posted Mon, 01 Jun 2020 09:17:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

You can check your eligibility here:

Check if you can claim a grant through the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 15 Jun 2020 16:11:58 GMT by stephen192
Hi there, I have been self employed for the last 8 years and like millions of other self employed individuals I have been severely affect by the lock down due to the coronavirus.  When the time came to apply for the grant I was informed through the online checker on HMRC's website that I did not qualify.  At first I was not moved by this as I thought with this being an out of the ordinary scheme that it might take a while for my details to filter through.  Still after 10 days or so I was still being told I did not qualify, which I could not understand as I met all the conditions.  I filed my return on January the 31st, I have been self employed for more than three years and my profits do not exceed £50,000.  When the self employment scheme was announced I listened and  followed very closely on how the scheme would be rolled out and what the protocol would be.  2 years previous to the 18/19 tax year I had been using an accountant but due to my poor financial circumstances I decided to file my own return for 18/19 as I simply couldn't afford the fee.  I eventually rang up my accountant to ask if maybe she would know why I'm not coming up as eligible.  Thankfully she still had my details which she got up and found that when I filed my tax return I put my details and income in the wrong box which says I'm employed by the agency that gets me work, instead of the self employed section.  She then changed the details around to show my correct employment situation.  But I have been told by HMRC that because this was changed after March the 23rd I will be unable to claim the grant.  For weeks and weeks I have been watching our daily updates, in particular to what our chancellor has been saying and making sure I have everything in place.  It's looking like I will be unable to work in my profession until around October. I am a self employed individual, I qualify for the grant, I followed the protocol but I am being denied due to human error.  How am I meant to know about the mistake until after the fact?  Is there anything that can be done to rectify this? 
Posted Tue, 16 Jun 2020 06:35:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 3
Hi Stephen, 
Unfortunately we can only use information we have for previous years, including any amendments up to the 23rd March.
You can now more easily make a claim for Universal Credit (UC) or new style Employment and Support Allowance.
Some individuals may also be able to access support through the temporary Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme. This may be an alternative.
Posted Sat, 08 Aug 2020 10:44:46 GMT by Mark Morgan
Hi there. I applied for the first self employment govt grant and was rejected. It seems i was one of those that slipped through the net. My main income as a self employed musician has ceased..I do have a paye top up income too on which i was on minimal furlough. I believe after costs/expenses with my self employment this showed a figure that didn't help me qualify..even though i rely on two modest incomes to live. I've been unable to claim anything from government including universal credit. I have now been taken off furlough from my p/t paye job with no guaranteed work being offered (zero hours contract) so am even worse off. My Self Emplyment i cannot see resuming in the near future due to the nature of my work. Are there any other avenues i can go down as things are naturally a real struggle. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 19 Aug 2020 15:40:52 GMT by Tilly welch
I don't understand how if you were on paye at the time covid struck then the government paid 80% of the wages that they were currently on & yet with the self employed we were given 80% of the average of the last 3 years not the current year. I have filled my taxes for 2019- 2020 & was given a hefty tax bill to pay as my wages in that period up to the date covid struck were good, however in 2016, 2017 & half of 2018 my company was at a loss, so i have been given a grant on 80% of half a year where my wages were not very high, i have gone from earning good money to nothing, with no help, why have my filed 2019-2020 taxes not been taken into consideration please?
Posted Thu, 20 Aug 2020 08:38:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 11
Hi Tilly welch, 

Government rules dictated that only the the 3 years, up to and including, 18/19 would be used for eligibility. The value of the grant is based on a 3-year average of trading/partnership trading profits, from the tax years 2016-17 to 2018-19.

The aim is not to subsidise the self-employed who would have been making losses regardless, but to support those who have been adversely affected as a result of Covid-19.

Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 24 Aug 2020 15:25:32 GMT by joechump
Hi, I've claimed for the SEISS Grant both times. Effectively I've had several potential projects cancelled due to Covid but am a little bit concerned as my friend (similar business) said his accountant had told him not to apply for the second grant in case he earns too much over the year and then presumably gets investigated or told to pay the grant back. This is tricky. I can't tell over the course of the tax year what my earnings will be. It's possible I might get a glut of work towards the end of the year, or not. I'm also only just being paid or due to be paid for projects I did earlier on in the year. At a glance this would make it look like I'm earning now whilst claiming the grant, when in fact much of that work is from pre-covid months. The only thing I can really be sure about is the work I've completed (if clients actually pay me and don't go bust of course...) and the grant. But there's a chance that if client's budgets get straightened out later in the year then I might earn more than last year. Should I be worried having claimed the grants?
Posted Tue, 25 Aug 2020 10:40:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
 Hello Joechump
As long as you have met the eligibility criteria for the grant, then you are entitled to these.

Regards,
Posted Sun, 06 Sep 2020 20:12:40 GMT by Petra91
Hi, I have claimed both times the grants because according to my best knowledge and understanding the criterias I was eligible to claim them. My circumstances change and now I might have to move back to my original EU country. I would like to find out that would I have to pay back the claimed grants if I stopped being self employed now and moved back to my original country?
Posted Tue, 08 Sep 2020 08:37:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

Please see guidance under the 'what happens next' section below about what to do if you think you have been overpaid:

Claim a grant through the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme

If you’re unsure about the rules around claiming, please read our guidance or speak to your tax agent.

If you need further support, please use our webchat service or you can call us on our Covid-19 Helpline:

Coronavirus (COVID-19) helpline for businesses and self-employed

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.