Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 13 Jul 2020 15:57:24 GMT by alan L
If you started to receive state pension part way through a tax year, you are required to take the weekly amount you were entitled to and multiply this by the number of weeks that you were entitled to receive it. Does this mean whole numbers of weeks? For example if your entitlement to state pension began on 12 March 2020, this leaves 3 full weeks until 1 April but 3 weeks and 4 days until 5 April. To obtain the state pension entitlement for the tax year 2019/20, should the weekly pension entitlement be multiplied by 3 or by 3 and 4/7?
Posted Thu, 16 Jul 2020 08:26:34 GMT by Phil-S
The safest way is to simply add up the payments you actually get in your bank account in any year between 6th April and 5th April of the following year. That's the State Pension you received for tax purposes. Where things can go wrong and HMRC gets it wrong because they estimate it, is if you are paid 4-weekly, you can get one payment in April/May that "bridges" the end/start of the tax year. So you can have one payment at the old rate and twelve at the new rate. HMRC might estimate using 13 4-weekly payments at the new rate. They don't like you contesting it, but what you actually receive is the true figure. I wouldn't trouble trying calculate parts of weeks etc.
Posted Thu, 16 Jul 2020 13:16:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 11
Hi alan L,

Thanks for contacting HMRC. Apologies on the delay in getting back to you.

Any queries regarding state pension and entitlement would be dealt with by the department who issue it. In this case you can contact the Department for Work and Pensions who can assist with your query. 

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 17 Jul 2020 12:04:03 GMT by alan L
I'm grateful for the responses. Unfortunately the Department for Work and Pensions are very difficult to contact currently due to the pandemic. The help section on the self-assessment form states 'If you received State Pension for part of the year, you'll need to count the number of weeks from the date your State Pension began to 5 April 2020 and multiply this by your weekly entitlement to calculate your total entitlement for this tax year'. My query was whether the help section means count just full weeks from the date of the start pension up to 5 April 2020 if counting full weeks finishes on, say, 1 April.
Posted Fri, 17 Jul 2020 14:56:27 GMT by Phil-S
Firstly, do your payments fall on the same day of the week, say every Tuesday, or every Tuesday 4-weeks from the last? What you haven't said is whether your payments are weekly or 4-weekly. If your payments are 4-weekly, divide the payment by 4 to get the weekly payment. Take a real example. The end of the tax year 2021 is midnight of Monday 5th April 2021. You get paid on Tuesdays Your last payment that counts towards the number of week you are entitled to in tax year ending in 2021 would be the one made on the Tuesday 30th March 2021 - the one made on Tuesday 6th April is in the new tax year so does not count for your calculation. The six days between 30th March 2021 and 5th April 2021 don't count Hope that helps
Posted Sat, 18 Jul 2020 00:19:24 GMT by John Jones
When it comes to the State pension, the tax return demands the amount which the taxpayer is "entitled to receive in the year". That is a very simple figure to calculate. On the assumption that you are being paid the right amounts at the right times, what you are "entitled to receive in the year" is what you actually receive in the year. That being so, the amount to be entered on your tax return is the sum of the payments shown on your bank statements within the tax year, i.e. at any time from and including 6 April to and including the following 5 April. That is what the DWP should be calculating. Unfortunately, however, the DWP is not providing HMRC with the information on which State pensioners' tax liabilities should be calculated. Both almost certainly know that there is a massive problem insofar as State pension data being passed from one to the other is concerned. HMRC Admin 11's reply to you is an example of how HMRC try to fob State pensioners off. When I, acting on HMRC's advice, spoke to someone in the DWP about this matter, I was very clear that I needed what the tax return demands, i.e. the amount I am "entitled to receive in the year". They sidestepped my request completely - a two-page letter, there was plenty of waffle but the figure sought by me was mentioned nowhere. I have now written to my MP.
Posted Mon, 20 Jul 2020 14:00:27 GMT by alan L
May thanks for your posts. I get paid 4-weekly on on Wednesdays so I can work out the weekly entitlement and the whole number of weeks included in the tax year from my start date - this comes to what I actually received in the bank during the tax year period.
Posted Sat, 08 Aug 2020 15:20:28 GMT by Frankie thinks
This is simply a matter of totting-up what you received in the tax year. You can do that by looking at your bank statements. There is no need to mess around with weekly rates and weeks. A problem will almost certainly come when HMRC say that they can’t accept your figure because it fails to tally with what they have been told by the DWP. When that happens, dig in your heels.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.