Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 15 Aug 2020 13:27:54 GMT by DB1
Hi, I contacted the helpline as suggested and the operator amended my assessment. However, I have just received the revised self assessment tax calculation letter and voluntary Class 2 NICs have still not been taken into account. I basically received the exact same return as before that states I have nothing to pay. I am extremely distressed as I have been trying for months to complete what I thought would be a very simple task - to pay voluntary Class 2 NICs via self assessment. Please, please tell me how I can finally achieve this. The phone operator seemed to have difficulty with the system and I do not wish to repeat a lengthy phonecall only to achieve the exact same result. There appears to be a glitch in the system that even the phone operators cannot circumvent. Is there some higher authority I can contact to get this done? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards, Dianne
Posted Mon, 17 Aug 2020 13:20:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

I am unable to comment on indivudal cases in this forum so I am unsure why this could not have been changed for you.

You may wish to contact the national insurance helpline to amend this if it has not been possible through self assessment.

Normally by signing into your account and amending your return, this should bring the class 2 into play. 

Thank You.
Posted Mon, 17 Aug 2020 13:55:21 GMT by DB1
Hi, Thank you for your reply. I did contact the National Insurance helpline, the operator said she had ammended my return, but it didn't work and I was sent the same calculation without voluntary Class 2 NICs. The operator was clearly having difficulty getting it to work and it is indeed a known glitch in the system. I had to send a paper return as the electronic system will not recognize voluntary Class 2 NICs if you have low profits and indeed prevents the completion of the online return altogether. Therefore I cannot ammend my tax return online as it does not exist except in paper form. That is why I need to know where to turn to now that will actually produce a result. The online system, phone calls, paper returns, and forums have all failed me. This is a very big problem and is preventing me from paying into the only pension I have. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards, Dianne
Posted Tue, 18 Aug 2020 11:26:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

Thank you for your question.

The only alternative would be to send a letter so one of our team can review this fully and manually intervene if necessary.

I am really sorry you have had such difficulty with this. 
Posted Tue, 18 Aug 2020 12:31:56 GMT by DB1
Hi, Thank you very much for your reply. I would be happy to send a letter if it would have the best chance of resolving this issue. Can you please recommend exactly which department/address would be the most appropriate to achieve this? Thanks for your help. Kind Regards, Dianne
Posted Wed, 19 Aug 2020 08:20:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 8

The address to write to would be HMRC, PAYE and Self Assessment, BX9 1AS.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.