Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 10 Jan 2021 13:24:21 GMT by Graham Charters
Hi, I buy shares in my employer (a US company) each month through my salary. The scheme I'm in means I get a small discount, which I believe is taxed each time I buy. I sold some shares in the 2019-20 tax year (at a loss, which may not be relevant) and also got dividends, but these did not add up to more than £300 (which I think is a threshold for Foreign). I'm wondering what sections I need to complete in the self-assessment for this activity. Is it the Foreign section? Many thanks for any help.
Posted Thu, 14 Jan 2021 14:55:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

If your dividends are less than £300 you can enter the details in the dividend section of the return.  

If you sold shares and suffered a loss, you can report these in the capital gains section of the return. You will not be liable to pay any tax on the loss, but can then use the loss to offset against any future gains you do become taxable on. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.