Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 10 Aug 2020 11:34:46 GMT by VictorP
Hello, I'm registered for Self Assessment with my after-hours business and I'm also employed on a Mon-Fri basis. On the online tax return form, while choosing "No" to the question "Was your turnover more than £1,000 in total from all self-employments?", there is no other form to fill in any info about my business. Does it mean I do not need to pay both taxes and the NI class 2 on the self-employment but still have to fill and send the return, even the HMRC have the details about my main income from my employer? Thank you
Posted Tue, 11 Aug 2020 11:56:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
This would be correct as along as the gross income is less than £1000.

If this is the only reason for completing a return then you may wish to contact us to have the SA record closed.

This can then be reopened if your turnover goes above £1000 or you wish to claim expenses or pay class 2 voluntarily. 

Thank You.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.