Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2019 11:51:41 GMT by banana_man
I am having an issue getting to the self assessment page on my personal tax account page. When I click the self assessment I am shown the following warning/error You are not signed in to the right account This section is Access your Self Assessment You used a different account when you first signed-up to view or send your tax returns online. I know for certain this is the right account as it was all set up let year to do my first self assessment. I am trying to figure out if I have made a mistake with login credentials but I am going round in circles trawling the gov.uk website looking for possible answers as there is no clear statement on the website showing me what maybe the issue or how to resolve it? I found the following on registering for self assessment - If you’ve sent a return online before Re-register online (form CWF1). You’ll need your 10-digit Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) from when you registered before. You can find your UTR if you do not know it. I did fill this form out online and on completion the message was thanks we have passed this on to HMRC. This has left me in the dark even more because I do not know what happens next? I can only assume the HMRC will activate self assessment on my account or send me a letter with activation code? I might be wrong (I signed up for self assessment last year so have my UTR and my gateway login which is the same), I was assuming I would just login and complete my self assessment but that is not the case. If anybody can shed some light on what the issue is or what I am doing wrong that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2019 14:06:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 3

Hi,
The error message you are getting implies that you have at least 2 different Government Gateway Accounts, only one of which will have the enrolment for Self-Assessment online.
Any Government Gateway ID can be used to access your Personal Tax Account, but only one will give you access to your Self-Assessment.
If you are certain that the Government Gateway ID and password you are using are correct (ie the one you used previously to complete your Self-Assessment last year) then it is strange for you to be getting this error.
You mention filling in a CWF1 form - this would be to register as Self-Employed, which will not resolve this issue.
In order to solve your problem, you would be best contacting our Online Services Helpdesk:
Technical support with HMRC online services

Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2019 14:47:36 GMT by banana_man
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I am fairly certain I only have the one gateway account. I enrolled for self assessment last year and created my gateway account at the same time and noted my gateway id and wrote it on my letter from HMRC so I could log in to do my self assessment this year. The email address registered with the account is receiving emails from HMRC so I am confused.
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2020 16:43:59 GMT by wolfman
Hi Banana-Man I have had exactly the same problem, and have found no solution. Have you managed to resolve it? Thanks Wolfman
Posted Sun, 12 Jan 2020 07:18:33 GMT by Doris
Hope this has been sorted for you by now but I had exactly the same problem.... Perhaps the site changed since I first registered a while ago but I've resolved things by going into Gov Gateway using my original Ref No and password - and then re-registering with Self Assessment. Received a totally different Ref No and created a different password.
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2020 18:56:35 GMT by BJ_Racer
I have the same problem when trying to do my self assessment online. I know that I have two Gateway ID's (due to the system being such a pain last year!!). I can successfully log in using both ID's but I get the same message for both. I specifically recorded the right ID to use when I filed my tax return online last year but the system claims that it is the wrong account. I get the same with my alternative ID. If I try to identify the correct ID then I get told to call the Helpline which is not much good since it is not open until Monday. Why does HMRC makes life so complicated? I have wasted 2 hours going round in circles.
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2020 12:22:05 GMT by KOB
I have just found a similar issue although I not longer see the option for Self Assessment in my personal tax page! Instead of 3 boxes at the top i.e. PAYE, Self Assessment and National Insurance, I know just see PAYE and National Insurance. I only have one gateway account - please can someone help!
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2020 09:11:40 GMT by Gemma Blagden
I'm having a issue, when I log into my gateway it says I have no return to complete yet I've not submitted a return for 2018-2019 yet? Any ideas? Should I just manually do one anyway Tia
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2020 14:52:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 3
Hi KOB,
You may not longer be required to complete a self-assessment tax return and therefore the section has been removed.
If you think the section should still be there then you should click the link at the bottom of the page that says, 'Get Help With This Page' this will raise the issue wíth our online helpdesk.
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2020 15:05:35 GMT by KOB
Thank you - in interest of time I have done this but think this is unlikely as no way of knowing my personal circumstances for income not collected through PAYE. Can you please advise further as I do appreciate your help but believe it will be something else and don’t I don’t want to waste 2 days (time for online support to get back to me) given the deadline is due soon.
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2020 15:10:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hello,

When you have mulitple IDs linked to one email address our system is unable to identify the correct user ID linked to your self-assessment.

Please call the helpline we are open 8am-8pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 8pm on Saturday.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2020 15:12:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hello Gemma.

In answer to your question I would recommend that you contact our Self-Assessment department to look into this for you - Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2020 13:54:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 3

Hi KOB,
You're welcome.
When you say "this is unlikely" I'm not sure what you are referring to, the incorrect section being deleted?
As for income not collected via PAYE, you must declare this appropriately on your return.
When it comes to ensuring you are filing your return correctly the only other advice I can give is check advice regarding this on gov.uk or to contact our Self Assessment: general enquiries who can help you complete the return.

Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2020 14:17:12 GMT by KOB
When I say unlikely I mean that there is no way that HRMC can determine if I dont have to do a Self Assessment. I still help in determining what else could be the reason for why the Self Assessment option has been removed.
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2020 08:51:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 3

Hi,
It may be that you are logged into your account using a Government Gateway ID that does not have your Self-Assessment enrolment attached to it.
If you filed a Self-Assessment return for tax year 2017/18 and we have not been made aware that your circumstances have changed then we should still be expecting one for tax year 2018/19.
The only exception to this would be if based on your 2017/18 return you did not meet criteria for completing Self-Assessment and so we have removed you.
You can check if you need to file a return by going to:
Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return
Assuming you do and cannot see the Self-Assessment section on your tax account or a return showing for that period then please contact our Self-Assessment department and we can look into this.
Self Assessment: general enquiries

Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2020 10:02:45 GMT by KOB
Thank you Agent 3, have contacted the help desk as you advise.
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2020 17:47:27 GMT by ejvind mork
I have always used an accountant but have decided to do it online - I didn't realise I needed a code. Are they taking 7 days or is there a way around it? I signed up for the gateway but I don't think I can file that way as I have a UTR I m going to miss the deadline if I cant get the code ...............anyone help I can even work out where to post a question - sorry
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2020 12:41:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 3
Hi, 
You can try using gov.uk verify as the security method for accessing the account, this skips the need to wait on an activation code.
Posted Mon, 29 Jun 2020 14:08:16 GMT by Robert in Cambridge
HMRC Admin 5 helpfully told us the problem: "When you have mulitple IDs linked to one email address our system is unable to identify the correct user ID linked to your self-assessment." Is anyone going to fix this problem, which seems to be six months old, or at least advise us what we can do about it? I am unable to submit my self-assessment online because of this problem. I have two gateway accounts, both using the same email address. One is for my personal tax, the other is for a limited company of which I am the director. I get the same error message from both of them. Luckily I still have time to file on paper.
Posted Fri, 03 Jul 2020 15:12:20 GMT by Robert in Cambridge
I just wanted to round this off for the benefit of others coming here with the same problem. My problem was that I had an old Gateway acount which I had forgotten about. I had never sent my tax return in online but this old account was the one that I needed to use. One admin (above) has said that the problem is due to having two gateway accounts with the same email address. This seems to be not a problem any moree. I now have three accounts with the same email. I wandered around the forest of webpages and helps, always ending up with "you are logged in to the wrong account" . It drove me up the wall. But eventually one admin gave me the vital clue: that I had set up online submission in the past but had then no used it. But I was still stuck because the email address of the old Gateway account no longer existed; this meant that the 'recover ID' stuff would not work. I tried, but gave up the telephone helpline because it was never answered and gave no clue about how long the queue was. I used the on line chat facility and eventually got through. They were very helpful, checked who I was and then changed the email address of the forgotten gateway and emailed me a link to reset the password. They also sent me the userid. I have now filed my tax return online for the first time.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.