Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2019 15:16:20 GMT by jayaram Sankaraayyappan
As per tax statement there is refund available for my tax return. Last two years back I moved out of UK now I dont have any active bank account in UK. Is it possible to refund my tax return amount to my friends account who is living in UK or International account of mine? Regards Jayaram
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2019 12:28:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 3
If your repayment is from Pay-As-You-Earn, we can arrange to send a cheque to your friend if they have a valid UK bank account.  We will need their full name and full address including post code. 
If it is a Self-Assessment repayment, we can send it directly to your nominee's UK bank account via BACS transfer with the same information as above along with their account number and sort code.
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2020 13:50:08 GMT by Sunil Chowdary Pedda Venkatappagari
Hi i have got a message from a number 07724413037, saying HMRC notification: that i am eligible for tax refund and click the below link: wondering is that trused link and number?
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2020 16:22:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 11

This is a scam text.  HMRC will only ever contact you about a refund via a letter in the post.  

Guidance regarding this and how to report the text can be found here:

Fraudulent HMRC emails, text messages and suspicious phone calls  

Thank you.   
Posted Wed, 08 Jul 2020 23:36:30 GMT by Smiler2020
Hi I have input all my bank details for self assesment tax return and to it to be paid to myself howe for some reason its stating payee some ladyship name then says nominee.Im baffled as to why it says this..who will get the refund myself or the nominee.How can I change this also.thanks
Posted Thu, 16 Jul 2020 11:58:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 4

HMRC usually send the repayment to the individual and usually only sends it to a third party if one of the following applies, If HMRC has received

a valid Deed of Assignment from a third party that has been signed by the taxpayer forfeiting your right to any repayments of tax for a set number of

years. If you have an Agent (Accountant) that requests the repayment on the tax return and supplied their bank details. If you have supplied the details

of a third party. A nominee repayment usually falls under the first option from the above list. As this is a general means of communicating with HMRC

I cannot confirm if any of the above apply to you. I would suggest you either call HMRC on 0300 200 3310 or webchat us at

Self Assessment: general enquiries
Posted Tue, 13 Oct 2020 10:25:08 GMT by apodgo
Hi, A letter with a cheque for a repayment of Income Tax has been sent to UK adress which I no longer live at. I came back home to another country. A friend of mine now lives at the adress that the cheque has been sent to and he's in posession of my cheque. Is there a way, that I can claim the repayement to a bank account or can I authorize my friend to claim it for me, as I have no possibility to come to the UK? Thank you in advance.
Posted Tue, 20 Oct 2020 08:35:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

If you contact our Income Tax team below, we can arrange to have a replacement cheque sent to your nominee in their name, which they can then cash for you. 

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.  
Posted Wed, 16 Dec 2020 18:52:14 GMT by marci
Hi, I got my tax refund on a cheque but I'd like to get it on my bank account instead. How can I give you my bank details? Thanks
Posted Thu, 17 Dec 2020 17:26:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 14
Hi Marci, Unfortunately, if a cheque has been issued then we cannot cancel, and have it sent via BACS. If you are unable to cash the cheque you have received, we have the option to cancel and sent it to a nominee on your behalf. This, however, would be another cheque and not a bank transfer. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 29 Dec 2020 17:41:31 GMT by Joseph Hurling
Hello, I'm hoping for some advice or experience from a HMRC admin or someone who's been through something similar in the past. After querying the whereabouts of my cheque, I received a letter stating that the cheque sent to me had been cashed in. Needless to say, this was extremely concerning as I have never received one and can prove through bank statements I haven't, if called upon. The letter advised I should write to "Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment" stating I haven't received my cheque if this was the case, which the telephone operator reiterated. Given that most HMRC staff are working from home, given the current climate, writing a letter as the only means of resolving this seems archaic. What am I up against, will my letter ever see the light of day and will I see any of this money? Thanks in advance.
Posted Sat, 02 Jan 2021 13:32:45 GMT by Alfie Hobden
I submitted my tax refund online in April and every month since then all you guys tell me is that it's being processed or maybe security checks and your colleagues never chase anything up they just say there is nothing I can do, it January now and I'm still getting the same comments !! Can someone help this is a joke now
Posted Tue, 12 Jan 2021 17:04:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 10

The adviser that you have spoken to over the phone has given the correct information.

Due to the circumstances and severity of your situation, HMRC will need to investigate this matter fully, something that we do not have the facility to do over a phone call or webchat.

Therefore, we ask that you write to us at Pay as You Earn and Self-Assessment, HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1AS, United kingdom advising us that you did not get this payable order.

Please confirm your full name, date of birth whether you have ever lived at the address it was sent to, whether the address we used is secure and if you have reported it to the police, please include the crime reference.

Rest assured this will be picked up by our back office and investigated.


Posted Wed, 20 Jan 2021 18:01:49 GMT by Francis Groves
I received a cheque from HMRC for the tax year 2018-2019, which I've just discovered amongst my paperwork which I never cashed for some reason, it's a repayment of Income Tax. As there's a 6 month window to cash a cheque, I guess it's now worthless. Does anyone have any advice on this matter, or experienced a similar situation themselves? Is it even possible to get this re-issued if I return the actual cheque?
Posted Mon, 01 Feb 2021 10:07:21 GMT by Alvin
Hi, I received a cheque from HMRC last year for my tax refund from 2019,but i could'nt encash it, 'cause the name indicate on my cheque is not my full name.It's hard to access your site 'cause i'm here in the Philippines.My cousin is in London and i want to transfer my cheque to him.How can i transfer my cheque to him?Is it possible?Please help me...Thank you and God bless
Posted Thu, 04 Feb 2021 12:47:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 4
If you were unable to cash the cheque and wish us to send a new cheque to your cousin you will need to contact us on webchat or call our Taxes helpline on +44 135 535 9022 to tell us your cousins name and address to send a replacement cheque to.
Posted Wed, 10 Feb 2021 16:20:09 GMT by Sarah Burgess
Hello, I have a 2 tax refund cheques that were issued more than 6 months a go. I have read your previous advice to contact an advisor by phone however, your phone lines are understandably, extremely busy at the moment. I am wondering if it is possible to send the relevant information by post in order to make some progress. If so, could you please advise what information I need to provide. I am in possession of the original cheques. Do I need to send these back to HMRC? Thank you in advance.
Posted Fri, 12 Feb 2021 09:10:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 4
Yes you can send the original cheques by post and covering letter with your personal details and we would be able to look at sending replacement cheques.
Posted Mon, 15 Feb 2021 19:35:16 GMT by Story9
I have just found a tax rebate cheque dated back to last year what do I need to do about it can I get it resent to me
Posted Mon, 22 Feb 2021 13:00:43 GMT by lauren Nightingale
i have been going through some old post and found one from HMRC saying that i was due a tax refund and that if i didnt claim online then a cheque would be sent to me. No cheque has been sent and this letter was dated June 2020, how can I find out more about his and what to do next?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.