Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 09 May 2020 12:05:51 GMT by Iain Irvine
The Verify Identity service (both the Gov.UK and Digidentity) refuses to confirm my identity. I have uploaded my driving licence and my passport details. I have double checked everything. I do not have much of a credit history, which might be why I am being rejected, but I do have a UK bank account. What do I need to do to get my identify verified. I am going round and round in cicrcles and getting nowhere. I cannot go to a post office as we are having to self-isolate. There must be a way that I can get myself identified if I have the correct documents, surely?
Posted Sun, 17 May 2020 18:16:16 GMT by michael Cartlidge
I have the same problem and I am almost out of time, did you get any results? thanks.
Posted Mon, 18 May 2020 12:39:12 GMT by Phil-S
The Gov Verify system does eventually work. It should be straightforward if you have a passport. Not having a passport like me, can have you crawling up the wall. I believe there is an online support setup where you can raise a ticket or speak to someone. But, be warned it took me a very long time to get it working and only by raising a formal complaint did I get help from one of the digital support IT managers who was able to tell me where the the thing was failing. Something is going very wrong with your case and you have a right to get a straight answer. Was is disappointing is that the verification problem has been going on quite a while now and did at one point come under a Parliamentary Select Committee scrutiny, so it is surprising that nothing seems to have been done to fix or improve matters. I think the problem is that this system is set up to be so secure that only the lucky few manage to get in first time. My advice would be to try and get past the bog standard "helpline" and insist on getting proper high level IT support from someone who knows the system instead of reading from a cribsheet
Posted Mon, 18 May 2020 14:00:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 3

Hi Iain,
If you are unable to apply using the online service, you can apply over the telephone.
The telephone number can be found here:
Coronavirus (COVID-19) helpline

Posted Tue, 19 May 2020 10:44:37 GMT by Iain Irvine
To: Phil-S. - Thank you! To: Marchael Cartlidge - Hopefully HMRC's response above helps. A bit. Comment: - Phil-S' post sums it all up. Very, very disappointing performance on behalf of UK Gov. I also contacted Digidentity to get their comment. Their response was that they, and Government (they didn't say which)) believe that two forms of official ID (recorded as belonging to someone who resides at the same address as the applicant) are insufficient to confirm identity as someone may e.g. break into a person's house, steal the relevant documents and then try to steal a person's identity... so a credit check is also required.... Like a sophisticated villain can't also try and steal a person's credit history - credit theft has never been known before (sarcasm a) intended & b) definitely merited!!). HMRC can receive a copy of Digidentity's response to me upon request - they have my emails details as a part of the registration process for this Forum. Digidentity's response was wholly unacceptable in my view and demonstrates clear flaws (to say nothing of ridiculous excuse making) in this process. As already said, two official UK issued documents which show a person's identity (you even have to upload a copy of your passport as well as also uploading a photograph of yourself taken on your smartphone to confirm that you look like your passport photo...) shoud be sufficient. If there are any further causes for concern, as this is all electronic, an electronic red flag could be raised which then requires Gov Verify/Digidentity/Other provider to make further query by a human being (like asking you to produce bank statements, or something similar). This should not be too difficult to work through. I'm sure that these third party service providers are being paid more than enough for their services to be able to work these further actions into their pricing structure... Let's not forget, HMRC, etc. ultimately work on behalf of the taxpayers who pay for Government services.. Unless I've misunderstood how these things are supposed to work! I wonder if HMRC has a useful reply (to what I admit is a very sarcastic but also in my view reasonably - frustrated post)!
Posted Wed, 27 May 2020 14:35:41 GMT by Anezka Rogozinski
well, it seems it is not just me having this problem vith my identity verification and yes I can confirm it does not work as one would expect, but I stumbled upon quite a few timers that if one does not have a UK passport and a credit history, heúshe still can use the P60 certificate which I do have but do not know where can I use it ... I would expect that if I do have such a record as a tacpayer that should be linked to my NINO and personal detaiils automatically so shopuld not be any issue to verify my identity. I have been waiting for the P60 as for a redem,ption and now it seem it does not serve for this purpose. Any suggestions about how or where can I use my P60 as a proof of my identity please? Thank you
Posted Wed, 27 May 2020 15:15:26 GMT by Michali
As I posted on another thread we are having the same problem. My husband submitted a non uk passport and submitted that along with two bank cards, selfies and was ready to submit his BRP. Everything was ticked as acceptable by Digidentity but then we were told his verification had failed. We were sent the following 'explanation' and asked to check all details that were submitted, which we knew were correct. 'Thank you for contacting us. As discussed yesterday, I can see that we have been unable to access enough information for you to continue with the verification process. In most cases this is likely due to a limited credit file. Please note that this is not in reference to your credit rating, but rather the amount of information we can draw upon in order to confirm your personal details. To continue, we advise that you check the following:' etc etc. He has been registered with HMRC since 2000 and has submitted tax returns every year by post. We have lived in the UK for the past six years. We don’t have a mortgage, own our property and are retired, so no P60 nor a driving licence. We also were sent this: 'I understand. The verification of documents is only 1 part of the verification process. This issue is related to the background check which must be passed regardless of the documents you may have. Digidentity Customer Support' So what else do they need?! I have come to the conclusion that seeing as he cannot be verified, we have to send the returns by post which normally is fine, but this year Covid might well cause delays in processing and that causes me great concern.
Posted Wed, 27 May 2020 15:17:20 GMT by Iain Irvine
Dear Anezka - this is not a helpful response from me, but it will be interesting to see what HMRC says (if anything). They have not made any further comment in response to my post of 8 days ago. Let's see if they can provide anything of use for you. Regards.
Posted Thu, 28 May 2020 08:33:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 4
Hi,

You can use your P60 as proof of identity on the Government Gateway -

HMRC services: sign in or register
Posted Thu, 28 May 2020 11:06:16 GMT by Anezka Rogozinski
Good morning Admin 4 thank you for your prompt response. I am glad to hear that I can use my P60 as proof of identity. Please believe me that I have tried so many times on the Government Gateway website (that means at https://www.gov.uk/log-in-register-hmrc-online-services) to find out what to do in order to use it. Unfortunately during the sign in process there is a step when the page says: "We just need to confirm who you are", and after clicking "Continue", as there is no other option, the next page asks to provide some of my personal details, like First name,Last name,National Insurance number and Date of birth, and after filling these, the next step is that point where there is no option or question about my P60 ... it only says: Confirm your identity Choose a way for us to identify you Select an option Multiple choice security questions For example, select your credit card provider from a list ... well, I do not have a credit card Passport questions You need a valid UK passport ... unfortunately I do not have a UK passport When I click at "I can’t answer questions on any of these options", it takes me to another page saying: "You can: try to confirm your identity again ... which does not change anythong from my previous attempt contact HM Revenue and Customs for help...which takes me to Contact HMRC page and after choosing Technical support link there are many options incl. webchat or phone where I should get help ... only if someone would pick the phone or answer webchat. Sorry for writing this whole tirade, but I just watned to show you that I (and perhaps many other people here) tried many many times with no success, so I would appreciate if your answer would include that extra bit of information about how precisely can P60 be used in the Identity verification process at Government gateway website. Thank you, best regards Anezka
Posted Fri, 29 May 2020 08:53:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 4
Hi.

You should be given the option to use your P60 (assuming it is one from either of the last 2 tax years) to confirm your identity as one

of the options when you are asked "Choose a way for us to identify you". If you are not being given this option and are unable to use

the only one you are presented with (multiple choice security Qs), then you cannot fully create a Government Gateway account and would

need to try and access Government services/confirm your identity using Gov.UK Verify , which uses various third parties to confirm your id

GOV.UK Verify
Posted Sat, 30 May 2020 11:48:17 GMT by Iain Irvine
It's very, very difficult to understand why HMRC Admin are unable to undersatnd the issue. If you do not have a credit history, then you can't confirm confirm your identity online. The P60 route just takes you round in a circle. Please can HMRC Admin. send this query further up the chain to someone who might be able to better explain, why, if you have two official forms of ID but no credit history you can't confirm your identity online. As this is a policy issue, a direct policy decision must have been made for this to be so. This should not be a difficult question to answer if it is given to the right person. This does not help Anezka in any way however. I will follow this up in a couple of working days by which time I would hope that HMRC can at least confirm that this issue is being sent 'further up the chain'. In a previous post I said I would be in contact with my MP/Moneybox, etc. I haven't as yet. I think now (or in a few days at the latest) is the time to do so. I look forward to HMRC Admin's reply/ Thank you.
Posted Sat, 30 May 2020 18:33:13 GMT by kannan
i also see only two options for confirm your identity (1. Multiple choice security questions 2. Passport questions) via government gateway. Unable to confirm identity via Gov.UK Verify third party as they are also accepting only UK passport, licence, Debit/credit card.
Posted Sun, 31 May 2020 19:59:35 GMT by Xavier Phan
Context: I've been living in the UK for 14 months, have a debit card, a provisional driver license, non-British passport (not e-passport). I'm trying to verify my identity to do 2019-2020 self assessment. And I'm having the exact same problem and very frustrated: - The Government Gateway offers me a bunch of questions (previous address, current address, etc..), and then decides that "We cannot confirm your identity" and asks me to "You have tried to confirm your identity too many times. Try again in 24 hours." I actually have been trying several times during the last few months. - The GOV.UK Verify offers me 2 options: Post Office and Digidentry. I tried both. They're pretty much the same. And I always stuck at the passport uploading step with both services. The reason is my passport is not an e-passport, it can not be read by NFC. But the app does not offer any other method to upload passport.
Posted Mon, 01 Jun 2020 10:03:56 GMT by Michali
My husband also has a passport that cannot be read by DFC (had never even heard of DFC before I contacted Digidentity) but we were advised to use the iPad instead of the phone and we were therefore able to successfully upload the passport. We still weren’t successful in registering though but good luck!
Posted Mon, 01 Jun 2020 12:07:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 3

Hi kannan,
If those are the only two options you are presented with via the Government Gateway then you will need to use either of those.
As you cannot use Gov.UK Verify as an alternate method and if you are unable to use the Gateway then the only other avenue available is to use, if applicable, a digital identity from certain European countries.
If you are trying to confirm your identity for the purposes of claiming the SEISS grant and are unable to do so online, then you can make the claim over the phone by contacting our coronavirus helpline on 0800 024 1222 (lines open 8am - 4pm Monday to Friday).

Posted Tue, 02 Jun 2020 13:53:55 GMT by Anezka Rogozinski
Dear all, thank you for your suggestions and my apologies for it took me a while to respond. Dear HMRC Admin 4: you wrote that I should be given the option to use your P60 (yes it is for 2019-2020) ... the word SHOULD sounds like you do not know how the web page looks like and what options there are. I am not trying to suggest anything, but no, there is no such option, the only 2 options are (as previously many people here mentioned) either: 1. Multiple choice security questions (For example, select your credit card provider from a list), or 2. Passport questions (I would need a valid UK passport). Since I do not have a UK passport, and the multiple choice security questions do not actually ask any questions (I presume that because I do not have any Credit history), none of these options work for me. Now, you have suggested that I use GOV.UK Verify ... I can assure you that before trying to get help here as my last hope, I have tried all alternatives, including GOV.UK Verify ... and the most frustrating thing about using the Post Office was, that after I managed to create my account, answer all the questions and even my non UK passport being successfuly uploaded and VERIFIED, Post office still couln`t verify my identity. When I asked why the answer was that thesy still need to check my credit history, so I can have my account open, but I can not be verified by them. The good thing about Post office is that their web chat works so one can communicate directly with someone ... when trying (many times) to use the Government Gateway web chat, it only advices you to wait when an adviser will become available, which, everytime I have tried, after a few hours of waiting became clear is not going to happen ...so no web and no phone support whatsoever. Saying that I would like to thank you for your comments here, but please instead of words SHOULD I would appreciate if you speak to someone who can solve the problem with certainity before answering to a post. Dear Iain Irvine, I would like to thank you for your comments and that you are trying to take this higher ... it gives me hope that it is not only me who sees this situation as a denial of our right to have an online Government gateway account, which is, apart of being convenient, also required for getting certain support from government some people are entitled to (for instance having the Government Gateway account is the only way how one can set up the Help to Save account) Have a great day all
Posted Tue, 02 Jun 2020 15:20:38 GMT by Phil-S
Iain I only resolved all this by ditching the frontline Technical/Customer Help thingy, making a formal complaint and bashing away until I got the personal services of a manager from the Digital Complaints Team early in 2019. I rated the whole experience as the most frustrating, time-wasting, time-consuming thing I have ever been involved with. Having touted the advantages of the digital/online alternative to closing down the local tax offices, and offering little tit-bits like having longer to file etc., this is what they come up with. You could try a direct go at the HMRC CEO or whatever, or there is a Minister (MP) who has responsibility, or get your own MP to contact the CEO or Minister with responsibility for HMRC. I remember being locked out of my account for something like a day or more for just one error - not even the banks do that
Posted Wed, 03 Jun 2020 08:56:00 GMT by Xavier Phan
Hi Michali, thank you for your helpful comment. I used a iPad and it allowed me to upload my passport. I got 3 documents (British driver license, passport, British debit card) uploaded and accepted, but in the end it still couldn't confirm my identity.
Posted Wed, 03 Jun 2020 15:09:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

When confirming your identity within a government gateway account, if an exact match is found on HMRC records after the initial pieces of information (first name, last name, national insurance number and date of birth) there will be options of how to confirm your identity. 

This will depend on what information is available. 

There will be options such as P60, payslips, tax credit payments, passport (UK passport required) and multiple choice. 

Not everyone will get all of these options as it depends on what information is available to check against. If there is no P60 question, this would indicate that the tax office does not hold information to check against. 

Everyone will get the passport and multiple choice questions as these questions and answers are not checked by HMRC, but by either the passport office or nominated credit reference agency.

When a you are having issues confirming your identity using government gateway, we would find out which area is asking the questions. If it is the multiple choice questions then we would advise you to check your credit report online to try and identify why the answers you are providing are not accepted. There are various providers that you can use for free to check this information. 

If you still cannot confirm your identity, select the ‘Get help with this page’ link from the bottom of the page that says we cannot confirm your identity. 

This will give you several boxes to complete with name, email address, what you were doing and what you need help with. 

You need to enter as much information as possible, for example:

“I’m trying to confirm my identity so I can complete a Self Assessment return, I don’t a have UK passport, and the credit report questions are not accepting the information. I have checked my credit report and cannot identify any discrepancies why the answers would not be accepted. I have tried GOV.UK Verify (which providers) and still cannot confirm my identity.”

This will send a report to our digital support team including information such as the page you were on, your browser and type of account you have logged in with. 

We will issue an email acknowledgment with a reference number for the query then send a further email once we have investigated the issue.  This would contain further information or guidance for the you to follow. 

If those instructions did not resolve the issue, you would reply back to that email explaining why you still had issues and this would be escalated within our digital support team. 

To contact us if you need help with HMRC online services:

Technical support with HMRC online services

You can give feedback on GOV.UK Verify using the feedback link at the bottom of the page below.  This page also has helpful information on how GOV.UK Verify is built, who is involved and has links to support from identity providers:

GOV.UK Verify

If you wish to complain about HMRC online services:

Complain about HMRC online services

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.