Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 03 Jun 2020 15:57:45 GMT by Iain Irvine
HMRC Admin 2's response above is, finally and thankfully, a reasonably helpful response. If I read it right the (implied) essence is that you should just ignore e.g. Digidentity (who are useless frankly) and just use the Gov.UK Verify service. Once you start having problems using this service - you should then go to the 'Get help with this page' link.... The thing there is though, most people do not see that link. They don't look for it. They just assume that there is something wrong with what they've already done and then try and go through the process again. And again.... Can I respectfully suggest that the Gov.UK Verify page is amended so that the 'Get help with this page' bit reads something more like - 'If you are having issues confirming your identity using this service then please contact.....'. Perhaps this could also be made more prominent (like directly underneath the bits where you have to upload your documents and in BOLD type). This might help many taxpayers avoid long and unnecessary delays which might result in them having to e.g. pay fines if they've not been able to verify their identity close to the filing deadline. At the end of the day, HMRC and other Government departments are here to assist us, the taxpayers who pay HMRC's costs. Additionally, it would help everybody, including Government agencies, if problems in services such as Verify are ironed out. A smoother life for all helps greatly. Oh, and avoid Digidentity etc. like the plague. They are totally unhelpful. If you hit a brick wall as you have no credit history, they will do nothing more than tell you that you need to have a credit history. it would be very helpful if HMRC could acknowledge this communication and confirm that the above suggestion might be sent to somebody somewhere who might take it on board. Bearing in mind that the Gov Verify service isn't just used for HMRC purposes.. Many thanks. . I await HMRC Admin's reply. To be followed up if none received.
Posted Thu, 04 Jun 2020 08:46:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 11
Hi, 

Thanks for your fedback. HMRC welcome feedback at all times so we are happy to take any suggestions forward. 

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 05 Jun 2020 15:12:07 GMT by Michali
Just a heads up! We tried the feedback form and received a quick response. However, the links given in the email only lead us back to everything we had already tried. So the returns will have to have sent by post.
Posted Fri, 05 Jun 2020 16:16:42 GMT by Anezka Rogozinski
Hi, again, thank you for the advice/comments/suggestion and explanations. Admin2 suggested that if there is no P60 question, this would indicate that the tax office does not hold information to check against. I tried to use the HMRC webchat where an adviser have suggested: "if you still are not getting the p60 option you will need to reply to any email they have sent you to advise that option is still not available" I also asked the Technical support with HMRC online services and received quite complex reply covering all the possible reasons and scenarios for having problems with the Identity verification - please read the whole reply below in case some of you will find the right solution there - I did not :( I only wonder why the tax office might not hold information to check agains if I have an official P60 ... this is perhaps another step to take (if an adviser will someone available any soon) *************************************** Thank you for contacting Digital Customer Support Team. To check your records, manage your details and send forms online to HMRC, you must verify your identity. Not everybody will be able to verify immediately as the verification service is in development and limited to questions about pay and tax from employment, passport information and UK credit reference data. Punctuation marks: The website is designed to ensure all usable punctuation marks are accepted. Your device may not be making the relevant punctuation marks (e.g. decimal point) available for you to use. Please consider using a different device such as a computer. Credit record: If you are asked to provide a UK address to verify using credit reference data and you don’t have a UK address or credit history, you will not be able to check your records, manage your details and send forms online to HMRC but you can use webchat, phone and postal services, contact the relevant helpline for details. (https://www.gov.uk/contact-hmrc) Payslips: If you are asked to enter the details from any one of your last 3 payslips you cannot use a payslip which has zero or a refund (negative) amount, please choose one with a positive amount. P60: If you are asked questions about your P60 and you cannot find it, contact your employer or pension provider for a copy. If you have more than one P60, choose one which shows that you have paid National Insurance and use that to answer the questions. If you had more than one job in 18/19 year, please enter the pay figure shown in the box titled, "In this employment". Tax Credit: If you are asked questions about your tax credit payments or the account the tax credit payments went in to, you can find that information on your bank statements. Passport: If you are using a UK passport to verify, you must enter the date it expires in the correct format, for example 19 September 2025 should be typed as 19 SEP 2025. Your name must be typed exactly as it is shown on the passport. You can try another way to verify by answering that you don’t have a passport. If you are trying to access the Inheritance Tax Service, you may need to use the downloadable Inheritance Tax IHT205 form instead. To use the IHT205 form the estate needs to be an excepted estate - you can check whether it is accepted at, https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/inheritance-tax/domicile.The form is listed second on the IHT205 page on GOV.UK If your circumstances do not meet the current verification criteria, you will not be able to use online services. Please be aware that you can still use webchat, phone and postal services to check your records, manage your details and send forms to HMRC, contact the relevant helpline for details. (https://www.gov.uk/contact-hmrc) If this advice has not solved your technical issue, please respond to this email and send a screenshot of the details you have entered. Kind regards Robert Digital Customer Support Team
Posted Tue, 04 Aug 2020 10:42:12 GMT by Marina Nogales Silvero
Hello, I cannot confirm my identity either. I have read there are different possibilities such as uploading a P60, a payslip, driving licence etc. But the first step for doing that is validating your UK address. The problem is I don't live in the UK anymore and I am not Brittish so I don't have a valid UK passaport. How can I confirm my identity or get to the page where you can choose the P60 form? THANK YOU!
Posted Sun, 09 Aug 2020 12:33:38 GMT by Rarity
I too am also having trouble verifiying my ID. I don't have a passport but do have photo driving licence, and have uploaded two debit cards.I cannot verify it using the external links either. I'm going round in circles and its taken hours. Very dissatisfied :/
Posted Wed, 12 Aug 2020 15:22:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi there.

Apologies for the delay with this reply.

You can access your Personal Tax Account here :

Prove your identity to continue

The default option would be to use the Government Gateway to sign in, which will require you to confirm your identity using either a valid UK Passport, recent payslip or P60, or additional security Qs.

You will be offered these options where applicable.

If none of these are suitable, then the next option is to use a service called Gov.UK Verify , however you will not be able to use this if you do not have a current UK address.

If neither of these methods work, then the final option is to confirm your Identity using your digital identity from a slection of European countries (the third and final option given to you on the link provided).

If none of these work, then unfortunately you will not be able to access HMRC Services Online.

Thank you.

Regards.
Posted Thu, 03 Sep 2020 21:15:06 GMT by Dhaneshi Ranasinghe
I needed to get a DBS certificate. In the process of applying I was getting my identity verified using post office. I have a UK passport and a driving licence and a debit card. All these were accepted but the screen jumped to Post Office was unable to verify your Identity page. After that I could not do anything. The page says no pending products. What else could be the problem if all required documents are accepted. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 04 Sep 2020 17:07:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi

HMRC do not deal with DBS certificates.

Please refer to the appropriate guidance on GOV.UK.

Thankyou.

Regards.
Posted Sat, 05 Sep 2020 13:25:35 GMT by Barbara Cooney
My husband has a medical condition that requires him to renew his driving licence every three years. We have been renewing this online for several years with no difficulties through gov.uk. This year however it has been made impossible because the access to that part of the government website is now through something called ‘Gov.UK Verify’. GoV.UK Verify uses one of two external sites that are supposed to confirm the identity of the applicant. They are the Post Office and Digidentity. We spent a whole afternoon trying to get each of the external websites to accept that my husband is who he claims to be. This involved registering the details of his passport, his current driving licence and his credit card. We also downloaded an app that enabled us to send a photo of his current driving licence and a selfie. We did this for each of the two external sites. All the documents appeared as accepted. However, we then came to two questions about bank accounts and credit. My husband has not taken out a loan or bought anything on credit in the last five years. After we recorded that response, both the Post Office and Digidentity prevented the application from going further. We can only conclude that, because he does not have debt, my husband is assumed not to exist. He has been forced to revert to snail mail for his application. We do just about everything online and would gladly have continued to do this task online too. The DVLA actually encourages people to use the online service instead of applying by post. It is somewhat ironic that they have now made this difficult at best and impossible at worst. We can only conclude from our experience that it is not enough for them to have passport, driving licence and card details as well as a selfie: For them, the absence of debt throws doubt on your existence. Interestingly, today on 'Any Questions' on Radio 4 Professor Sir David Spiegelhalter, an expert on risk and statistics at Cambridge University, reported that the questions on credit history prevented him also from registering for am online identity with Government Verify. He confirmed that only 42 percent of those who have tried have managed it. Is this regarded as a success by the Government?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.