Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2020 11:11:54 GMT by shieldsy1963 Shields
I changed job in July 2019 but have been unable to find a copy of my April 2019 P60 from my previous employer. how can I get a copy of my P60 for year end April 2019 before the 31st January, to allow me to submit my self assessment?
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2020 07:48:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 11

You may find that the relevant employment information pre-populates on your return. If it does not, you can contact our taxes department and we can confirm your pay and tax details for 2018/19.

Income Tax: general enquiries.

Be aware that you also need your employer's PAYE reference, which is not something we can provide over the phone.

We can send an employment history to you in the post which will show it, but this may not reach you before 31/01.

If you need the PAYE reference you may find it on a payslip, your P45 from your employer, or you could contact them and ask for it.  

Posted Sat, 21 Nov 2020 09:43:25 GMT by Mark Saunders
I need a p60 for my employer I am paying emergency tax
Posted Wed, 25 Nov 2020 14:31:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hello Mark.

P60 documents are given by Employers, Pension Providers or Benefit Providers and not by HMRC.
P60 forms also should not have any impact on coding for the current year.
If you require a P60 you must contact the company that paid you.
HMRC can review your coding information if you call us on 0300 200 3300 or via webchat
Income Tax: general enquiries 
Posted Fri, 18 Dec 2020 12:25:22 GMT by Cazbuz69 Maynard-Burrows
Hello, Please could someone tell me how to get a P60 from 1987-1990? My Wife’s NI contributions state that she didn’t pay NI contributions 1987-1988/1988-1989/1989-1990. She was in full time employment with a company she started working for in 1985! The company no longer expiate now so unable to ask them to provide a copy of the P60 to see if she had payed NI or to ascertain why she wouldn’t have payed NI. Thank you Caroline
Posted Wed, 13 Jan 2021 17:52:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 10

Unfortunately, HMRC cannot send your P60 details.

However you can make a subject access request ,which means we can send the informaiton we do hold on the GOV.UK website by following:

Make a subject access request to HMRC.


Posted Wed, 17 Feb 2021 19:08:41 GMT by Nuno
For how long can I ask an old employer for copy of my P60? I worked for a company 2 years ago but never received my P60 from them so I was wondering if they still have this information for me to request.
Posted Wed, 03 Mar 2021 10:44:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 4
Your employer should keep records for 3 years from the end of the tax year they relate to. If it is for 2 years ago your employer should still have the records to provide you with a copy of the P60.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.