If you’re self-employed or in a partnership you need to tell HMRC that you’ve started self-employment and register for Self Assessment so you can send a tax return.

Register and file your Self Assessment tax return

The good news is that it’s really easy to register your business for tax. Most new businesses can use a simple one-step online registration process and set up an online HMRC account at the same time.

You need to do this within 6 months of the end of the tax year in which you started.

What will I pay?

• If you’re self-employed you’ll pay Income Tax and Class 2 and Class 4 National Insurance.

You'll need to make a Payment On Account. There's more information on the Knowledge Base (Check out our section 'What is a Payment on Account?) and on GOV.UK here 

You can find Self Assessment videos and webinars on  GOV.UK here