If you get an email or letter from HMRC telling you to send a return, you must send it.

For example: If you’ve been self-employed as a sole trader or partner for all, or part of the tax year, you need to send a return.

Please refer to the link below for more details on Self Assessment criteria:

Self Assessment tax returns