Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

To get an NHS exemption card, a household must

not receive:
  • Income Support
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income based Jobseeker's Allowance or Pension Credit-Guarantee Credit


  • a gross income of £15,276 or less - by this we mean the income used to work out entitlement to tax credits after applying the income increase/decrease disregards of £2500 and

be in receipt of: 

  • Working Tax Credit (WTC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC), or
  • WTC including a disability element, or
  • CTC only

Further information is provided by the NHS Business Services Authority, which you can access via the link below.

NHS tax credit exemption certificates