Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Usually, the tax credits you’re entitled to is based on your income for the last tax year.

Income includes:
  • pay - your earnings before tax and National Insurance (check your P60 or payslips if you’re employed, or your Self Assessment tax return if you’re self-employed)
  • benefits from your employer (check your P11D)
  • certain state benefits
  • money from a pension - including your State Pension
  • interest on savings
  • your partner’s income - if you make a joint claim

Don’t include:

  • maintenance payments received from a former partner
  • tax credits payments
  • student loans
  • student grants, except the Adult Dependents’ Grant or any dependents’ grant in Scotland
  • income your children have had, unless it’s taxable in your or your partner’s name

There is detailed guidance on GOV.UK Tax credits: working out income if you need help working out your income.