Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Q: Can I claim employees’ uniform costs as a business expense?

A: Yes, this would be classed as a business expense.

Q: If I go to a café to meet a customer for coffee can I claim the drinks bought as a business expense?

A: These specific items would fall under those you can't claim for if you're self-employed. Please see the following link for more information: Expenses if you’re self employed

Q: When travelling abroad for work can I claim train, flights, hotel and car hiring costs as a business expense?

A: All travel expenses are allowable as long they are solely for business. You cannot claim for any personal travel or expenses not in accordance with your business. Please follow the attached link for further information regarding travel and subsistence: Business Income Manual

Q. What training can be claimed as an expense?

A. You can claim for expenses for refresher training but not for first time training. The expense must be wholly and exclusively for the course of your business. You can find more information on GOV.UK by accessing the following link: Business Income Manual