Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: HMRC access to non-UK residents

I'm not sure why HRMC keeps telling people they can access the portal when previously it has been stated that "If you are not resident in the UK you will not be able to use gov.uk verify." Does anyone from HRMC have any information about whether access to people living o/s is being considered at all, or are we being completely and deliberately ignored?

So for the past 9 months since this thread started, those of us who live o/s still can't access the system. I have to ask, does the last message from HRMC, "You are correct, most of the options provided rely on information that you'd only have if you lived in the UK.", help any of us at all? No, it doesn't. I think what we are looking for is a solution for the issue, not a message confirming what we already know. HRMC would know that there will be people who need access from o/s, yet have designed a system that deliberately excludes us. So could HRMC explain to us what they intend to do to remedy this situation?

My wife and I both already have a UK gateway user ID and password. The information you have given is correct, however, the final part of the ID verification involves the use of two forms of UK information, one of which is a UK address (The other is a UK credit check, which again does not apply). Without a UK address we cannot get through the process. This was the whole point of my message which you have not addressed. So my question still stands, what exactly is the issue with giving ex-UK tax payers who can be adequately verified using personal information, NI numbers, etc, access to online services? Please address this specific question, because we can pass all other ID requirements apart from the UK address requirement.
  • HMRC access to non-UK residents

There appear to be a reasonable number of people who, through no fault of their own, cannot access the online services offered by HMRC, merely because they have no UK address. As a UK citizen living abroad, in order to get any information at all regarding my tax and pension affairs my only recourse is to use a phone. What exactly is the issue with giving ex-UK tax payers who can be adequately verified using personal information, NI numbers, etc, access to online services?