Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Certificate of Residence for tax purposes

Peinuts, they've asked only 2018 as they can't go any further back. Pedro Rebelo, I've requested on 19/7 and it was taking quite a long time so I've contacted HMRC who said they have sent it. I waited another week and I contacted them again and they've sent it again and I received in August. HMRC, where can I find an official document that says that "We are only able to issue certificates of residence where there is a foreign income declared in the UK for tax purposes. In all other circumstances, we issue a letter of confirmation of residence.". I would like to show it to the Portuguese authorities. Thank you
  • RE: Certificate of Residence for tax purposes

I´m a Portuguese citizen who has lived and worked exclusively in the UK from 1/2013-7/2018. Now the Portuguese tax authorities have decided that I should have paid taxes on my Uk' income. The problem is that on my ID card from 2015 they changed my address from the UK to a portuguese one. Now I need to prove that I was an UK tax resident during that time. I've applied for a Certificate of Residence but HMRC only provided me a Letter of Confirmation which they don't accept. By reading this forum I understand that a Certificate of Residence won't be provided as I only had income in one country. Is there a way you can provide me with an oficial document stating that in order for me to prove to the Portuguese authorities that there is no other document then the Letter of Confirmation? Because they won't provide me with any evidence that they refuse without a formal document from HMRC.