Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Uk-based crypto exchange for non-resident

Thank you for confirmation, I understand that 1/ As not Uk-resident, today I don’t have to declare any capital gains in the UK for the sell of echange e even if the exchange I have used is based in the UK, because they are considered non-Uk sourced 2/For further clarification, as this is a very dynamic area, even if exchange tokens were considered as UK-sourced (for example because what is considered to determine the location is the situs of the exchange), a non-UK resident would not need to declare any Capital Gains as the tokens are not Uk residential or not-residential property or land but movable property. Could you confirm? Thank you
  • Uk-based crypto exchange for non-resident

I am non-resident (resident in EU in a country with a double taxation agreement with uk) but I use a crypto-exchange that is based in the UK to sell my bitcoins bought abroad. I then withdraw the money to a foreign account in my country of residence. Do I have to pay or declare anything in UK assuming that I am not trading and only get Capital Gains (not trading)? My guess is that non-uk residents do not pay for Capital Gains and that, according to the hmrc own guidance, the bitcoins are considered as being in the place of residence of the owner at the time of selling them. Thank you