Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Self-assessment for 99 year old (power of attorney)

    I've just found out my 99 year old grandmother needs to complete a self assessment to report her rental income which contributes to her care home fees. Due to her advanced dementia, we have lasting power of attorney for her. I can see how I need to inform HMRC of this, but I'm unsure if we should register her for a self-assessment login with HMRC first or inform HMRC of the power of attorney before we do this. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.