Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Self Assessment Refund - 3.5 month wait and still no reply from HMRC

Dear HMRC, I posted weeks ago and I've still yet to receive communication from you. Please can this be expedited or can I be given a contact to escalate. I made a claim in May and I'm still awaiting the refund. I've contacted HMRC twice by phone and was promised I would receive contact within a month. It's been 4 months now and I hope you agree, this way off your advertised turnaround times. Hoping I get a response soonest. Regards Steve
  • Self Assessment Refund - 3.5 month wait and still no reply from HMRC

I completed my SA on 9th May and am owed a 5 figure claim. The website says you get paid within several weeks. However, I (foolishly - as it turned out) waited until end June to query the status to be told that the payment was held up owing to some checks. I rang the hotline and waited 40 minutes to speak to an operative who told me this. They said it could take up to 4 weeks for me to hear from them formally. I politely requested if it could be expedited or certainly I could be guided on what further information I need to provide, if that's necessary - so I could help the process myself. I've heard nothing and nil in writing as I was advised. I rang again mid July and got similar feedback and this time was told that an extra email was going to be sent to try and help. Here I am on 27th August and still no reply. This is despite highlighting to HMRC that this is putting my family under huge financial pressure, not least we were expecting the refund in May. I don't believe this forum existed, so hoping this may find someone in HMRC that can help? It's a huge flaw that HMRC doesn't email and the hotlines just don't appear reliable or connected to the relevant department. I'll post back here when the matter is resolved. I hope others don't suffer similar and sharing to warn in case.
  • RE: Self Assessment Overpayment Refund

Hi, I have a similar issue. I completed my SA on 9th May and I'm still awaiting contact from HMRC regarding the refund. It's now 27th August... I've telephoned three times - each time waiting at least 40 minutes before connecting through to an operative. I was told I would be contacted within a month in writing each time, and have received nothing. It's causing lots of issues financially and there doesn't seem to be anyone that owns your case to get it resolved. I share to highlight you might need to chase HMRC hard. I've only just discovered this forum, so hoping it may help. Hope you're experience is better than mine.