Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Covid and "working from home tax relief" - how to claim

Update on my previous post. I hadn't realised there were two sub-pages for employment, "taxable benefits and expenses" and "employment expenses" - I was looking on the former but the latter has a "Other expenses and capital allowances" for which the help link refers to working from home. I'm sure I'd looked at that page previously, but I was looking for a "covid allowance" box. Thanks for your help Oli

Thanks for the response, but the only box similar to the one you describe is I think designed for the opposite purpose. I believe you're referring to the "Taxable benefits and expenses" page (subtitled "Employment benefits and expenses - information found on your P11D"). This does not have an "other expenses box" it only has: * "Other benefits (including interest-free and low interest loans)" which is not appropriate * "Expenses payments received and balancing charges" which is for me to declare an expense I've received and comes from P11D N16 Are you saying I should fill in the "Expenses payments received" box with a payment I have not received? I will do that if it's the right thing to do but it feels like I'm then making a fraudulent claim. I have searched on the page for the word "expenses" and there's no other box. There is no "other information" on that box, but there is on the "any other information about this employment" which I will use if I can't get other guidance. I can't believe it's this difficult to make a claim for something that I'd think a large percentage of the population would claim, but I can't find any reference to COVID across the whole of the SA forms (except for correcting an incorrectly paid previous COVID payment). I must be doing something wrong but still don't know what it is.

Thanks for the response... but on the employment page "Taxable benefits and expenses" page there's lots of benefits (ie things I've received already which should count as income) and "Expenses payments received and balancing charges" which is payments I've received. Then on "Tailor your return" there's the question "Do you want to claim other tax reliefs and deductions, for example, community investment tax relief, venture capital trust shares, maintenance / alimony payments?" but when I enable that it gives me an extra two pages of boxes, none of which looks right. When you say "enter the amount on the following page" do you just mean the employment "any other information" page? I can put it into there but I appreciate it's then not going to be automatically included in calculations and needs to be reviewed by a human, which seems an odd approach when it applies to millions of submissions. Could you let me know which boxes you were specifically referring to? Thanks
  • Covid and "working from home tax relief" - how to claim

I understand I can claim £6/week due to having had to work from home last year, but I've been all through all the self assessment pages I can find and can't see any box to fill in to claim this. I know there's an online portal specific to this claim but it's only appropriate for this year not last year. Only references only say "claim through SA" but don't say how. Or is it just something to fill in on an "other information" box? Can you advise how to make this claim through SA.
  • EIS scheme of negligible value

Over 3 years ago I invested in some EIS schemes, primarily to defer some CGT liability. Some of those schemes have recently become "negligible value" and the shares have been sold by the scheme operator. My interest is claiming loss relief and handling the CGT coming back into charge. My question is, regarding either the CGT or the loss relief, can I defer either of these so that I can manage them as though the event happened in future years (ie submit the claim as part of a future self assessment return)? My problem is that the total CGT for all the schemes that terminated this year is over my CGT allowance for the year, and the amount of loss relief I can claim is greater than my income tax payment, so if I have to handle both of them in one year for all schemes I'll have to pay CGT and lose out on loss relief. Thanks, Oli