Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • NT Code vs. Double Taxation Treaty

    Hi, I moved to Kenya and took employment with a UK based company, who have taxed me under UK PAYE since day 1. My duties are wholly performed here in Kenya. I am receiving conflicting advice from my accountant, HMRC phone lines and HMRC websites - hoping you can advise me: To update my tax code to NT with my UK based employer; do I first need to have a stamped Double Taxation Treaty relief form here in Kenya? According to this page, my foreign income (earned through my duties working in Kenya, but paid to me in my UK bank account by my UK registered employer) is not liable to UK PAYE tax: In addition to the above question about NT vs. DTT; Should I write to request NT code? Or submit P85? Your advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated.
  • RE: Obtaining Dual Taxation Tax Code

    Hi, I have the same situation as the original poster; but with all my income earned through duties performed abroad. I submitted P85 and was told that an NT tax code wouldn't be processed until I had resolved the Double Taxation Treaty form. On the basis that I was full time employed by my (UK registered) employer while already abroad, I should write to HMRC at the address above, and the P85 is not correct. Is my understanding correct? If so, is there any guidance on what must be included in / with the letter? Thanks.