Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Late Self Assessment penalty but never been self employed.

Seems to be a bit of a trend forming here - I too have been receiving Self Assessment returns and statements since April 2021. I've been in a fulltime position since November 2009 on a PAYE scheme and have never been self-employed. My latest SA statement now claims that I owe £862.75 in penalties and interest. I've filled out the SA removal request form multiple times, going back to April 2021 when I received the first statement - I'm told upon completion of this form, that I'll receive a letter within 15 days confirming the removal or asking for further details and have never once received these letters. I've completed the form again this evening after not being able to get through on the phone, but I'm not expecting a reply. Could be a coincidence, but this seems to have happened after my wife contacted HMRC regarding our marriage allowance earlier in the year. Why that would have led to me being put on SA, I cannot fathom. I've also completed the complaints form this evening, quoting my reference numbers for all of the SA removal requests I've made, asking why they've never been responded to or actioned. I've also asked why this happened in the first place and what will be done to compensate me for the considerable stress this is now causing me and my family. From recent experience, I'm not expecting a response, so am also taking legal advice.