Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Are qualification courses allowable for landlords against rental income?

Hi HMRC Admin 17 The landlord is also a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licence holder and according his property licence it states: “The Licence Holder and/or their manager must undertake Authority-approved training (e.g.UKLAP/LLAS/NLA property management training) where required to do so by the Authority.” Since the landlord is also a HMO licence holder, he is responsible from advertising the property to dealing with all issues of the tenancy agreement. And based this, wouldn’t the costs of these qualification courses be allowable because the principal purpose of taking these training courses are to maintain the property income and enhance the letting and managing of the property? The courses will also help the HMO licence holder to advertise the property fast and properly to find good and suitable tenants. This will ultimately help the HMO licence holder to be able to manage the property with less trouble and hassle because he could find good tenants who look after the property and the tenants are less likely to cause trouble in terms of not paying the rent or not complying with the terms of the tenancy agreement.
  • Are qualification courses allowable for landlords against rental income?

If a landlord is responsible from advertising the property to dealing with all issues of the tenancy agreement, would the cost of below qualification courses be allowable because the principal purpose of taking these training courses is to maintain the property income and enhance the letting and managing of the property? Qualification course for Managing Property and Residential Lettings Qualification course for Domestic energy assessor Qualification course for Energy Performance Certificate
  • RE: Mortgage Interest Payments

Hi HMRC Admin 17 Let’s say my total mortgage interest amount was £3000 and I would put it in Residential finance costs box 44. And my taxable income was £13,000, my personal allowance was £12,570, hence my total taxable income is £0? Rental income £18,000 Expenses £5,000 Taxable income £13,000 Less personal tax allowance £12,570 Taxable income £430 Less tax relief for mortgage interest (Mortgage interest paid is £3,000) 20% of £3,000 mortgage interest £600 Total taxable income £0