Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Expenses!?

First sorry for asking a question which may've already been answered but I come to you as a last resort. in trying to complete my tax return, I am stuck in regards to expenses. I put in my income, and the tax I've paid. in this section there is Total allowable expenses: (optional). If  I earned 20k, with 1k expenses on things such as food, travel, the allowable stuff... do i put the 2k in this section?? i do not think you would, because i tried this, and it deducted it from my income, making my total taxable income 18000. from there the only option is to submit the return, no option in my view, to request my expenses. i do not see how i will get my expenses back this way, the calculation basically gives me my tax back without including any expenses. i know that is a bit confusing, but i am confused because once i can submit my return, there is obviously a CLAIM A REFUND option and i thought maybe there is where i then will put my expenses?? if i submit my tax return 20k income, 2k expenses, i would expect my calculation to be my tax on my 20k wages combined with my 2k expenses, but this isnt what the calculation shows, so should i leave the EXPENSES blank and there will be an option when it comes to claiming responses in the CLAIM A REFUND section... i thought claim a refund will just let you claim the amount they've calculated.... i am failing to see how - yes im repeating myself - but if i put my expenses in my Total allowable expenses: (optional) .... because it isn't being included in the calculation.. many thanks if you can help.