Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Declarining savings interest

    I have seen conflicting advice from HMRC Admins on here about what steps are needed if receiving more than the personal allowance in savings interest. Two months ago, 'HMRC Admin 19' stated, in response to a query, that "If you are in receipt of bank or building society interest, it is your responsibility in the first instance, to notify HMRC, so that this income can be factored into you Income Tax liabilities". However, 19 days ago 'HMRC Admin 25' stated "HMRC will be notified by the financial institution after the tax year has ended and we would update your records accordingly." The HMRC website doesn't seem particularly clear on what the responsibilities are for someone who doesn't need to fill out a tax return but earns more than their personal savings interest allowance. Given the increases in interest rates over the last year or so, a number of people who don't fill out tax returns will tip over the £1,000 savings interest mark for lower-rate taxpayers. It would be useful to have some clarity on exactly what is required - which forms need to be filled in, how savings income is classified (eg is it 'investment income') when notifying HMRC, and so on.