Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Help with last Self Assessment as self employed

Thanks for your answer. Yes, I entered an end date for Self-Employment in "If your business ceased after 5 April 2021 but before 6 April 2022, enter the final date of trading:". I entered 02/10/2021. Then, when I view my calculations, it says "First payment on account for 2022-23" and "Second payment on account for 2022-23 will be due by 31 July 2023" which are non-zero. Is there any way to double-check why I am still charged a payment on account if I included a ceased date? Thanks for your help! Best regards, 

Thanks again for the detailed answer. Is this reduction usually complete (the total amount of the payment on account)? Now I am taxed at source (employed) and I earn less money than before. If it is just a partial reduction and I were overcharged, how do I claim this to be refunded? When? Best regards, Manuel.

Thanks for your answer. I just got two questions. 1) Can I ask for a reduced/zero payment on account before submitting my tax return? I haven't submitted one yet, I just filled all the data in the online form, but have not submitted it. 2) What do you mean by closing the Self Assessment record?

Hi, I am continuing my original enquiry in this thread. During the 2021/22 tax year, I worked as self-employed, stopped (forever - no plans to resume this at all) and right after it, I started working as a regular employee (ongoing). My Self-Assessment calculations say that I must do a "payment on account for the 2022/23 tax year", which is a considerable amount of money. I think this number is assuming that I'll be continuing working as self-employed this current tax year, which is not true. On top of this, today as a regular employee, I earn less money than I was doing self-employed. Is it possible to avoid paying this "payment on account for the 2022/23 tax year"? How could I do so? Thanks a lot for your help so far.

Assuming that I won't work as a sole trader anymore, if I do what you suggest, next year I don't need to complete the Self Assessment. I mean this only regarding self employment taxes. Am I correct? Thanks for your help!
  • Help with last Self Assessment as self employed

Hi, I worked as self-employed from February 1st 2021, until October 1st 2021. I paid already my taxes for the 2020/21 tax year. I haven't yet completed my Self Assessment for the 2021/22 tax year. Also, I haven't told the HMRC that I stopped working as a self-employed. On October 4th 2021, I've started working as a full-time employee (ongoing). I'm no longer a sole trader and I won't be working in this way in the near future. What should I do (and in which order) to pay my 2021/22 taxes and let the HMRC know that I am no longer a sole trader? Should I first complete my Self Assessment for 2021/22 and then complete https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/shortforms/form/CeaseTrading or the opposite order? Best regards, 
  • First Self Assessment - Issue proving identity

Hi, I have just received my National Insurance Number. I have started working as a sole trader since Feb 2021, and I plan to stop working by Oct 2021. Furthermore, I do not have a UTR number. So far, I have not submitted any form to the HMRC. While filling my first Self Assessment online (https://www.gov.uk/register-for-self-assessment/self-employed - "Register online"), it says "We need to ask some questions to prove your identity (choose 2 items)". The options are: a) UK passport b) Credit reference questions c) Northern Ireland driving licence. My problem is that I neither have a UK passport nor a Northern Ireland driving licence. At most, I could choose only b). Due to this, I am blocked, and I cannot move forward. What should I do to fill my first Self Assessment without being able to choose two items? Should I send this (https://public-online.hmrc.gov.uk/lc/content/xfaforms/profiles/forms.html?contentRoot=repository:///Applications/NICs_iForms/1.0/CWF1_20167&template=CWF1.xdp) form by post? Kind regards, .