Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: split year

    Dear Sir/Madam, If a person is a tax resident in UK (living more than 183 days in UK during the tax year) and applies split year treatment (falling into Case 4 (Starting to have a home in the UK only) & Case 8 (Starting to have a home in the UK)), 1. When will the date to have a home in UK only or start to have a home in UK if that person (i) entering a long-term lease contract in advance before arriving in the UK and (ii) staying in the hometown and entering the UK one or two months later? The date is based on the date of lease agreement or arrival date to the UK? 2. What is the meaning to have a home in the UK? Starting to live in the UK or just rent a home in the UK? 3. If purchasing a UK property before entering UK, would it be counted to have a home in the UK even though not living in the UK and still staying in the home town? For the split year treatment adopted, for disposal of property or stocks, if a conditional disposal agreement has signed before entering in the UK and completion happened after entering the UK, would it be possible to classify the capital gain as foreign income based on the agreement date, rather than classified as UK income based on the completion date? Thank you. HY